Took apart a Kestrel 1000 watt turbine to see whats inside. lots of photos

pechan
pechan Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭
Here is the first picture showing the pieces.

2014-10-29%2016.51.56.jpg?dl=2

Here is the first of 4 sets of coils

2014-10-29%2016.48.41.jpg?dl=2

This is the center 2 sets of coils back to back...

2014-10-29%2016.50.02.jpg?dl=2

This is the front set of coils with the front bearing in the center...

2014-10-29%2016.48.41.jpg?dl=2

This is what the Rotors look like...

2014-10-29%2016.49.45.jpg?dl=2

Comments

• pechan
    Re: Took apart a Kestrel 1000 watt turbine to see whats inside. lots of photos

The other Rotor....

2014-10-29%2016.49.53.jpg?dl=2

Side View of Rear Stator....

2014-10-29%2016.49.07.jpg?dl=2
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

So four stator coil sets and two magnet rotors sadwiched between them? Are the magnets in a non-metalic rotor? Is there cogging with this turbine? Nice post.
    gww
  • pechan
    gww1 wrote: »
    So four stator coil sets and two magnet rotors sadwiched between them?

Correct, the Coils are wound with very small wire I would guess something like 32 gauge? They are wound around laminated steel core about 2 inches long and 7/8th square.
    Are the magnets in a non-metalic rotor?
    Yes the Magnets appear to be pressed into a HD wood pressboard.
    Is there cogging with this turbine? Nice post.

If I recall correctly you can feel very slight cogging... but don't quote me on that....
  • pechan

This is a 200 Volt Model. Due to all the Coils the AC is Rectified in the turbine itself and sent down the tower as DC voltage.

I Took it apart to see if I could rewire it to a lower voltage, but I don't feel comfortable at this point rewiring anything....
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

Thanks for the answer. Just my opinion but the risk of rewiring for lower voltage may increase the heat in the stators. My suggestion would be to take these pictures to feildlines otherpower forum and hope some one like flux would answer. someone there might have already converted on of these for battery charging. I do find it interesting but garrentee my knowlage is not good enough that I could rewire it and know what I ended up with. If you just split the coils in half, you might be able to use it with a midnight classic but unless you live in vertual hurrican area year round it the out put might not be worth the 800 bucks for the cc.
    Please keep us posted.
    gww
  • pechan

I do live in a "hurricane area" Wyoming 13 mph average wind.