Roll Call : Those with Magnum Inverters please chime..

Options
DMJ72
DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
I am thinking of getting a Magnum 48V inverter to upgrade my mom's setup. Most likely a 48V AE series.

For those that own / have installed magnum inverters, what you do think of them in terms of reliability, performance and support.

All opinions are welcome!

Comments

• machineman
    machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Roll Call : Those with Magnum Inverters please chime..

I have a 24V AE4024 inverter charger on my off-grid system. Been fine for over 4 years. Easily runs power tools and an occasional Mig welder.

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

• DMJ72
    Options
    machineman wrote: »
    I have a 24V AE4024 inverter charger on my off-grid system. Been fine for over 4 years. Easily runs power tools and an occasional Mig welder.

Thanks for the feedback, this is what I am looking for. Keep the posts coming. :)
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

I like them. My general choice for straight (non-hybrid), off-grid systems.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    For those that own / have installed magnum inverters, what you do think of them in terms of reliability, performance and support.

My opinion... consider an Outback if you don't need 240 volt service. Outback's tare loss (20 watts) is lower than Magnum's. Magnum's control panel is a bit easier to use than a Mate (I don't know much about the Mate3, it may be easier to use).

As for support... remains to be seen... Outback was sold a couple of years ago, and Magnum was recently (months?) sold.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • DMJ72
    Options

Hi VTmaps, yeah I need 240V service .. Outback would have been my first choice otherwise.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Outback can supply 240 VAC through a transformer.

Personally I have three reported Magnum failures, zero Outback failures. (The majority of failed inverters are "no-name" brands.)
  • DMJ72
    Options

I have never installed a Magnum and do want to try one out. The Outback transformer at close to $400 makes it a hard pill to swallow. I have heard some reports of failures with the Magnum that have me concerned...
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

My dealings with Magnum has been stellar in the last couple years. I only buy the MS-2812 and have installed or upgraded 5-6 of them. My local servicing dealer ( Inverter Sales and Service , White House , Tn ) has all the parts to service them and walk-in service on warranty. Even though Magnum was sold they still offer service through their dealers. The Remotes are very easy to use and at least come with plenty of cable.

Xantrex use to allow field repair, but now you have to send them to Elkhart, IN for service and it's a major pain to box up a 70# Inverter to ship and $26 for me one way and two weeks without the Inverter, I am done with them.
  • DMJ72
    Options

Thanks for the good feedback so far guys !
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm one of those that coot heard of a failure from. i had a mms1012 that faulted and was replaced under warranty. the replacement was a used refurbished inverter and not new ftr and they do not carry a full warranty, but only a few months if i remember right. anyway, my replacement faulted again, but self corrected after a few seconds on a number of occasions. i now have a battery that has gone bad and am seeing a heavier draw from the inverter while in standby and supposedly keeping the batteries charged by the grid. as i don't have another inverter to replace this one it will have to do and i leave my batteries disconnected from it and the batteries seem to be fine now that they aren't connected without being dragged down by the inverter. in conclusion i've had 2 failures within 3-4yrs and caused undue stress to my batteries with 1 failing because of it in a system that is basically a grid tied ups for my refrig and furnace plus a few lights. the inverter may still fully fail on me yet and i deem it to be unreliable and contact with magnum on the 2nd inverter i was told they break and send it in to them and they'll fix it for a fee. good $ after bad imo doing that.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well Niel, that sucks! Sorry you're having that many inverter problems. Not good.
  • Earthandsol
    Earthandsol Registered Users Posts: 12
    Options

I like them. I have installed 6 inverters (4 MS 4024PAE s 1 MS4448PAE and 1 RD3924 ) and one of the MS4024s is on my home system. The issues I have had are all user interface oriented- mostly generator charging problems. Magnum tech support has been helpful, responsive and much easier to reach than Schneider( yuck, I have a scathing story with a Conext 4024 for another time) or Outback( hard to reach, some great tech people, some mere menu readers).
    Chris
  • ramloui
    ramloui Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Options

I installed the MS4024 PAE this spring on my off-grid cabin. Not much use yet but, so far, works as advertised.

For me, the selling points were: pure sine, 120/240V (mostly for future need...maybe...), compact, sleek, clean look when installed on top of the MMP enclosure (ok, so this is not critical...) and, as I found out for myself eventually, easy to use through the ARC controler. This is not to say that other brands don't work as well or better, I have no experience with anything else but, so far, I'm very happy with my purchase
    Attachment not found.
    Off-grid cabin in northern Quebec: 6 x 250 W Conergy panels, FM80, 4 x 6V CR430 in series (24V nominal), Magnum MS4024-PAE
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

Some issues are model specific, not to blow off someones experience with them. I have MM series in the box as new. It would never ramp up the charger. It has a 70 amp charger and if you set it to say 30 amps it would come on and go to 70 amps and then drop back to 30 amps, mean while the Generator would fault. Thats a Model specific issue and was baked into the design. The MM and MMS also have a crummy cooling scheme and stay in charger cut back mode most of the time and their charger output is terrible. Again my dealings have been great, but my dealer deals at a level above Customer Service and I stay out of it. I made a one time buy on some overstock and got the inverter free and everyone was happy.

Nice Install ramouli
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

blackcherry,
    you are probably right about the troubles being model specific, but it sure doesn't make me feel any better and still reflects bad on them.
  • KeithWHare
    KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Options

DMJ72 -- I helped install a solar electric system at a clinic in Haiti 4.5 years ago. (See http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?9127-Off-Grid-system-in-Haiti for the details.) We used a Magnum MS4024. The original logic for choosing the MS4024 was that it was available in Port au Prince. We have had no problems with the MS4024.

My only interaction with support had to do with the battery monitor (MS-BMK). Turns out that it is possible to insert the keyed connector backwards, which puts the power to the sense lines and fries the BMK. The Magnum support person I dealt with was very helpful and they replaced the BMK at no charge.

The MS4024 is powering the clinic 5 mornings a week, pumping water to a roof tank, etc. and has had no problems.

Keith
  • DMJ72
    Options

Thanks for the reviews & opinions!
    Keith, Good job with that Haitian clinic !
  • jonspeed
    jonspeed Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options

Hey everyone this is my first post to this forum... in my opinion magnum does have reliability issues. In my search for an inverter I have come across many stories of failed magnum inverters, I have also spoken to 2 owners who reported failed units in 4 years, what I have also noticed is that one online company has a resale section specifically for magnums and never seem to run low on stock never noticed those numbers with any other major brand. Its nothing definitive or scientific just an observation
  • SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Options
    jonspeed wrote: »
    Hey everyone this is my first post to this forum... in my opinion magnum does have reliability issues. In my search for an inverter I have come across many stories of failed magnum inverters, I have also spoken to 2 owners who reported failed unitsin 4 years, what I have also noticed is that one online company has a resale section specifically for magnums and never seem to run low on stock never noticed those numbers with any other major brand. Its nothing definitive or scientific just an observation
    I've installed over 30 Magnum inverters in the last 5 years and never had a single issue with them, mine is an old AE4448 and still works like new. Also had an Outback VFX which broke two times. Nothing is black or white.
    Erik