Question Regarding Shade vs. Remote Mounting

I have a house that is capable of carrying about 30 panels on the roof, but it is surrounded by tall pines and the panels would move in and out of shade during the day. I assume that on the average they would get about 3 hours per day of sun exposure in the winter and perhaps 4.5 hours in the summer. If I installed 30 panels they would by my calculation supply about 1/3 of the electricity I use in my large-ish house. I have a treeless field that 500' away on which any number of panels could be installed, and they would get sun dawn to dusk with no shade. Compared to the roof they would probably get at least 50% more sun. (I'm in Florida, by the way.) So, my question is do I choose the roof or the remote field to install panels, and I'm particularly interested in knowing what I could do to mitigate the voltage drop because of the distance. Thanks.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Question Regarding Shade vs. Remote Mounting

A big question here is whether this is a grid-tie installation or an off-grid installation.

If it is grid-tie then the Voltage will be much higher (240 VAC or 300-400 VDC for example), and V-drop not so much of an issue even across 500'.

If it is off-grid then that 500' becomes a problem for sure, as it means you have to run higher Voltage array and/or thicker wire and possibly use high Voltage MPPT controller (expensive) and/or add panels and accept the losses.

In short, we need more details.
  • stoneunhenged
    stoneunhenged Solar Expert Posts: 39

It's a grid tie system.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    It's a grid tie system.

That makes it easier and gives you a few options.

One would be to put the panels on the roof and use micro-inverters so that each would output its optimum regardless of shading issues (one shaded panel would be the only loss, not it taking out and entire string of panels).

Two would be a central inverter with high Voltage array mounted remotely feeding >240 Volts to the GTI at the house. Array Voltage can be run up so long as cold Voc does not exceed inverter input maximum (typically 600 Volts).

Three would be some combination of the two, depending on what production amount and timing would be the most beneficial against your billing.