can i use conext sw 4024 onduleur as an ups for critical load?

Options
11JAGAN
11JAGAN Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭
for a backup system ,can i use conext sw 4024 as an ups for critical load?

The transfer time is less than <1 cycle(20 ms)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: can i use conext sw 4024 onduleur as an ups for critical load?

Generally, a UPS is rated for 1/2 cycle transfer or ~0.0083 mSec transfer time (at 60 Hz).

My question is "how critical" are the loads. If this is a server and you cannot have down time, then you really need a continuous converter (AC power to battery bank to AC inverter to load).

From my limited experience, very roughly, about 1 in 10 "real power failures" with a standby UPS can cause a desktop computer to crash/reboot.

I was never able to cause this behaviour with a simple lab setup and a power interruption device. My guess is that real power failures are ugly events, and UPS's are not always able to recognize a power failure quickly enough to switch in less than 1 cycle time.

There are so many variables in AC power supply design and UPS systems that it is difficult to generalize... I worked in offices with UPS's and desktop computers, and some of us had laptops--The laptops with batteries never went down with a power hit. Desktops, usually did not reboot (although, we had to run around the office to shut down the computers because nobody had the UPS to Computer alert cable connected--So the desktops would die when the UPS battery went dead).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 11JAGAN
    11JAGAN Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Options

Its an computer server
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I probably would not.

You could always install a small/dedicated UPS to the server and power it from the AC inverter.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset