Something good from BC Hydro

Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
I wonder how many will go for it, much less actually make use of it?

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/energy-savings-track-your-electricity-in-real-time-1.2058742

Comments

• RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Re: Something good from BC Hydro

Nifty, wouldn't mind something like that myself. I have access to a website that gives me pretty graphs of my usage, but it isn't live - think it's about an hour behind? (I don't look at it very often.)

I do have a power meter I could install to do my own monitoring, a Veris Enercept that communicates a slew of info via modbus. Had it for a decade or so, just never got around to putting it in - mostly because the specs say it's only accurate in the 7%-100% range. My house sits below 7% of its range most of the time! :roll: Ought to give it a try anyway, the darn thing cost a fortune. (Not me - we bought a stack of them for a big job way back when and had some left over!)

It doesn't appear many of my neighbors have taken advantage of our utility's offerings. I get weekly reports emailed comparing me to the rest of the neighborhood. I still gasp a bit when I see the average price being paid by the "normal" houses in summer!
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Can't seem to get onto BC hydro's web page to find out how to get one. I have a MTP 3100 and it's close.

VT
  • Chris
    Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭

well I'm fighting getting a smart meter tooth and nail......(I want no part in there graduated billing)
    But I know it is eventually inevitable, so would be interesting to get one of these then.
  • CDN_VT

Same here Chris . I don't need microwaves being blasted from house wiring .
    Link : http://www.bchydro.com/powersmart/residential/smart_meters___conservation/monitors.html?WT.mc_id=rd_energymonitor

Smart meter required !!!!
    I know my daily usage because we read our meters daily for over a year now & having them in series checks the BC hydro's with my analogs

Im paying more per month to keep my "Legacy meter" than my hydro costs ..

So if it can tell "up to real time usage " then the microwaves are continuous !! Great , and with my neighbour sharing a transformer , his smart meter is not working because i don't have one

VT

https://energymonitor.bchydro.com/device/emu2
  • Cariboocoot
    CDN_VT wrote: »
    Same here Chris . I don't need microwaves being blasted from house wiring.

They won't hurt you.
    Nor can you escape them by having no microwave devices (including cell phone, wifi router, etc) in your house; your neighbours have them and the RF does not stop at your property line.
    In fact you will incur less exposure from the amount radiated through household wiring from the meter than from the cell phone being used by the guy on the street (long lengths of wire make for a poor antenna at 900+ MHz).

Stop believing in nonsense.
  • CDN_VT
    They won't hurt you.
    Nor can you escape them by having no microwave devices (including cell phone, wifi router, etc) in your house; your neighbours have them and the RF does not stop at your property line.
    In fact you will incur less exposure from the amount radiated through household wiring from the meter than from the cell phone being used by the guy on the street (long lengths of wire make for a poor antenna at 900+ MHz).

Stop believing in nonsense.

Thanks Dr Coot !

in the spring time to fall when the Provincial Camping ground is open & they NOW flood the area with Wifi , the Birds & frogs small critters etc, the forest is quite of them.
    I live in the same Valley and when the wife & I walk the dog , we know when they have turned on the Wifi for the park ,in the park ! When we leave the area and walk back to our farm (2 miles) , after 500 yards of the park ,the birds & critters are in the bush around our trail back ..In the winter time we still do the walk and there in no difference through the park with the critters , small birds are under brush ,as they are around the farm . Come late spring the park has city campers start coming in so we don't do that area & skirt around the weekend summer madness . This has been going on two years since we noticed it as well as many rural folks up here.

Being a kid of the 50-60s , seems we never heard of all the stuff kids get now with all the electronic devices and attention disorders !! we were expected to fall and learn skill of life .
    Tell that wifi / Microwave harmless stuff to a few of the Eskimos / Inuit who would warm themselves in front of the DEW line antennas (did time in Tuktoyaktuk ) .

We all make choices , one of mine was live within my means & eat real home grown food , no / minimal processing ,(mostly grow /farm ourselfs) when we have a power outage of a few days to a week or so as we do get every 5-7 years , the house is quite of the constant hum of 60 hz.. your ears ring from the quite.. Paper books work without battery's :-)

VT

You are entitled to your own church as am I .
  • Cariboocoot

Yes, except my "church" is science, not 'scientology'.

I've lived and worked in RF saturated environments my whole life and have not suffered one bit for it. There is no real link between RF and illness. None.

Now have you ever considered how much increase in exposure to toxic chemicals there has been in your lifetime? There is solid scientific evidence linking that to illness.

But people would prefer to believe in fashionable fairy tales it seems.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    CDN_VT wrote: »
    attention disorders !!

When I was a kid--They called those "boys"... (yes, we were hard on parents and teachers:blush:). Just sent us outside to play until we were hungry and tired enough to do home work (and sit in one place).

Today, boys are drugged with ADD drugs (for example Ritalin, which is a stimulant, but in young kids quiets them down--I guess) to fit into the industrial education environment.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot

And that's as far off the track as this thread is going to go.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

It would be interesting to see my neighbor's useage, too bad my local utility doesn't offer that. Our meters are being replaced with smart meters right now, and you can go online to see your numbers - but that counter-top device would be more effective for the average Joe. My utiliy now offers "savings days" (not sure what they are calling it) on high-demand days, where they'll credit your bill based on how much you reduce your own demand. For years my A/Cs have been enrolled in a cut-off program on high-demand days and everything else is energy efficient, so I'm not sure just how much lower we'll be able to go.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is