need advices for a hy1000 wind turbine please help me

mfdomotique
mfdomotique Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello guys , I'm a french canadian that is really newbie with wind turbine . I read a lot of article and did my choice with a hy energy hy1000 48 volts turbine. I raise it up at 55f on top of a tower . When it spin very fast ( about 20-30 mph) it gives me 26 volts dc and 10 watts ... The cable between the turbine and the controler is a 3 phase gage 12 awg ... I know that the cable is a bit too small but it should give me a better result isn't it ? I calculate cable lost using a calculator and it should give me a 4% of cable lost not 50% like I have ??? Could someone help me finding my bug please since the hy company seams to misunderstand my problem ...

thanks for your help !!!

Mertin

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: need advices for a hy1000 wind turbine please help me

Hi Mertin, welcome to the forum.
    For others who may be interested, here is a link to the turbine description, photos etc: http://hyenergy.en.made-in-china.com/product/seCQtDZHAohx/China-1000W-Wind-Turbine-HY-1000L-24V-.html
    Now to my answer I wish it could be different :cry:
    Mertin, I regret to say, I once had a similar turbine with similar blades, and it never ever produced the "rated" power. In fact, the only time it ever produced any useful power here in Nouvelle-Écosse, was when tropical storms came up the East Coast and hit us. During those times the blades would scream like an insane vampire and the turbine, rated for 1000 watts, would actually put out less than 250 watts. With "normal" wind, it would sometimes put out 10 watts, but mostly it just looked pretty, spinning against a clear blue sky. I took it down after 2 years and switched to solar panels, as the turbine was really useless and there was a real fear of the blades self-destructing during a tropical storm and I was afraid the United States would fire a rocket at me when the blades from my turbine entered their air space at very high speed.
    All was not lost though, I saved the alternator and have used it with a small water powered turbine for about 5 years. I gave away the blades, tail etc.
    Unfortunately small wind turbines are mostly a scam to get our money.
    Salut Mertin, bienvenue sur le forum.
    Pour d'autres qui pourraient être intéressés, voici un lien vers la description de la turbine, des photos etc: http://hyenergy.en.made-in-china.com/product/seCQtDZHAohx/China-1000W-Wind-Turbine-HY-1000L-24V-.html
    Maintenant, pour ma réponse que je souhaite, il pourrait être différente: :cry:
    Mertin, j'ai le regret de dire, j'ai eu une fois une turbine semblable avec des lames semblables, et il jamais produit le "classé" puissance. En fait, la seule fois où il jamais produit aucune puissance utile ici en Nouvelle-Écosse, a été quand les tempêtes tropicales sont venus de la côte Est et nous ont frappés. Pendant ces périodes les pales auraient crier comme un vampire fou et la turbine, classé depuis 1000 watts, serait effectivement mis sur moins de 250 watts. Avec le vent "normal", il fallait parfois mettre à 10 watts, mais surtout il avait l'air assez juste, la filature contre un ciel bleu clair. Je l'ai pris au bout de 2 ans, et passé à des panneaux solaires, que la turbine était vraiment inutile et il y avait une crainte réelle de l'autodestruction lames au cours d'une tempête tropicale et j'avais peur des États-Unis serait tirer une roquette sur moi lorsque le lames de mon turbine sont entrés dans leur espace aérien à très grande vitesse.
    Tout n'était pas perdu cependant, j'ai sauvé l'alternateur et l'ont utilisé avec une petite eau turbine pendant environ 5 ans. J'ai donné les lames, etc queue
    Malheureusement petites éoliennes sont la plupart du temps une arnaque pour récupérer notre argent.
    Wayne
  • mfdomotique

Thanks for the reply , to be honnest this is not the answer I was looking for .. , I read many reviews from them and it seams that it is really a good product that delivere a great power output . I just know why it doesn't give it to me here .. Or maybe I need an hurricane to give it ???

any other help will be appreciate !!!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Need to check the wiring in the Nacelle... It does not sound right.

You could have broken slip ring or brushes. And it should be a 3 phase generator. If any one of the phase wires is broken, it will just the power output by at least 1/3rd. And there is a rectifier assembly (diodes) of some sort to change the three phase into DC power--Shorted/Open diodes will cause problems too.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong from the turbine to the electronics down below. It does sound like something is broken rather than a design issue.

Do you have a way of getting to the turbine without having to rent a crane/lift?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mfdomotique

It will be difficult to remove it from the top
    without a crane .. but the tests i did proof me that the turbine works since when i plug a 24 volts light bulb it light up on all phase combination ab ac and bc means all phase are working but you are right i didn't think about having a defect bridge inside the controler that may cut the result by 1/3 of the voltages ...

I will do testing next time with a new bridges ... but what about my cable size ? it should giive me a better result but what about the 24 vdc , ... pershape if the bridges mist one phase ...

BB. wrote: »
    Need to check the wiring in the Nacelle... It does not sound right.

You could have broken slip ring or brushes. And it should be a 3 phase generator. If any one of the phase wires is broken, it will just the power output by at least 1/3rd. And there is a rectifier assembly (diodes) of some sort to change the three phase into DC power--Shorted/Open diodes will cause problems too.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong from the turbine to the electronics down below. It does sound like something is broken rather than a design issue.

Do you have a way of getting to the turbine without having to rent a crane/lift?

-Bill
  • Rishabh
    Rishabh Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited March 2019 #6

Hey guys,i am from India. I want to build an On grid system with the HY 1000L wind turbine, but i have few queries that the manufacturer does not get it.

1) If turbine is producing 3 phase 3 Wire AC then why they write DC ratings in their data sheet? so do they provide the an MPPT wind charge controller (rectifier) with the turbine or do we have to arrange on our own? If not then how to find it locally?

2) How to find an on grid inverter locally, what are the specifications? a Solar grid tie inverter is compatible for this task? if yes then provide the specifications?

• BB.

Welcome to the forum Rishabh,

1) Typically, the 3 phase output from the alternator is connected to 6 diodes to rectify into DC voltage (connect to battery bank, or input filter capacitor for a GT inverter) . Pretty much like a car's alternator. Not many people use the "wild frequency" 3 phase AC output.

2) The usual GT takes the AC power in (rectify perhaps external rectifier), and change it into DC power. Then that DC energy is converted to 230/240 VAC at 50/60 Hz.

I do not know who makes an GT AC inverter for wind turbines. Here is an example of a Wind Turbine GT inverter for that class of wind turbine (US Amazon store):

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-Turbine-Generator-Inverter-22V-65V/dp/B076N28N2W

If you cannot access the Amazon link, try searching for "ECO-WORTHY 1000W Wind Turbine Generator Grid Tie Power Inverter DC/AC 22V-65V"

I would ask the Wind Turbine company to recommend a GT inverter that would work with their turbine.

Good luck,

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Rishabh
    Rishabh Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited March 2019 #8

Bill, Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Only want to know that do you have experience of this product HY 1000L?

Do they provide a charge controller (rectifier) also? If not then what should be the specifications of the charge controller (rectifier)?

• BB.
    edited March 2019 #9

I don't have any information... However, here is a 9 year old discussion by some members about the HY 1000 (and 2000) turbines:

-Bill