Something Weird With My New Trojan T-105s

genocell
genocell Registered Users Posts: 9
I bought a pair of new T-105s a week ago from a local company and I noticed something strange with one of the batteries.

The sides of the plastic case has a little bit of outwards 'bow' to it. Here are pictures to show the extent of the distortion.

Attachment not found.
Attachment not found.

Is this normal or should I ask for a new replacement? I really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: Something Weird With My New Trojan T-105s

That is a more pronounced than you would usually see in a new battery not in service. The lead plates weigh about 50 lbs, they sit over a area called the sump on a grid molded into the case. With the weight of the plates and the electrolyte if they are not sitting right on the grid when assembled will allow them to drop and cause the sides to bow as they pull the top down. My guess would be the plates were a little short. After a battery has been in service you see it all the time. There is also a budging of the case that is caused from warped plates and or positive plate growth as a battery ages and positive post growth on the top of the case as a battery approaches end of life.

While it might not be a big problem, they are new and to ask for it to be replaced is reasonable. Poor Quality control.
  • genocell
    That is a more pronounced than you would usually see in a new battery not in service. The lead plates weigh about 50 lbs, they sit over a area called the sump on a grid molded into the case. With the weight of the plates and the electrolyte if they are not sitting right on the grid when assembled will allow them to drop and cause the sides to bow as they pull the top down. My guess would be the plates were a little short. After a battery has been in service you see it all the time. There is also a budging of the case that is caused from warped plates and or positive plate growth as a battery ages and positive post growth on the top of the case as a battery approaches end of life.

While it might not be a big problem, they are new and to ask for it to be replaced is reasonable. Poor Quality control.

I noticed it when I pulled apart the very thick shrink wrap and bubble wrap they were in. The courier guy that sent the batteries had probably turned the batteries on its side because there was battery acid between the plastic wrappings and I had to quickly wash my hands with baking soda. The battery also have a slight dent on one of the corners. Come to think of it they probably manhandled it.
    I had a feeling that something was wrong because of the bow. This was actually two weeks ago not a week in my original post after I checked the invoice because I was very busy cutting trees and installing panels.

I'll ask them for a replacement. What do I do if they refuse a replacement?
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    genocell wrote: »
    I noticed it when I pulled apart the very thick shrink wrap and bubble wrap they were in. The courier guy that sent the batteries had probably turned the batteries on its side because there was battery acid between the plastic wrappings and I had to quickly wash my hands with baking soda. The battery also have a slight dent on one of the corners. Come to think of it they probably manhandled it.
    I had a feeling that something was wrong because of the bow. This was actually two weeks ago not a week in my original post after I checked the invoice because I was very busy cutting trees and installing panels.

I'll ask them for a replacement. I was thinking of buying more solar panels from them but now I have my doubts. I once asked them if I could make a local pickup on their warehouse which is relatively near but they made some excuses. Come to think of it the batteries were probably NOS that they had lying around for a while. What do I do if they refuse a replacement?
    Well, you could at least contact Trojan and make them aware in case you have any warranty issues. I did not pick up on your location so your right with the shipping, they could have been dropped or on their sides or who knows what. The bowing on it's own, if the plates are not shorted shouldn't effect the operation or life of the Battery. You cannot see inside to look at the paralleling links.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If you think they have been damaged in shipment--You need to refuse shipment or notify the shipper ASAP if hidden damage is found...

We had to reject two refrigerators that had shipping damage before we got a third that was not hit by a fork lift or dropped on a hard surface (and these were replacement refrigerators for a unit that had a bunch of service calls trying to repair a failure after a few months of service--Was not fun). 4th one was the charm (so far, fingers crossed).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Trojan stamps the "date code" on the top of one of the posts. You can determine the date of manufacture from that code.
    I forget the exact code but the letter I believe is the month# (i.e. D=April) and the #'s are the year.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • genocell

Thanks everyone for your replies. The company contacted me the next day after I emailed them and they agreed to offer a replacement. I was worried that too much time has passed because I kept forgetting to ask people in this forum who are more experienced about the batteries...

Even though I have not mentioned them by name what I have said about them is unwarranted and it is not their fault. It was shipped directly from a local Trojan warehouse by a local courier company so they were not directly involved. I assumed the batteries were from their warehouse from the way they were replying to my query for a local pickup because the shipping was expensive.