Copycat

gww1
gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Copycat

Well, they are not even trying to hide the fact that these are Outback units:
    The Fangpusun MPPT 60A, 80A charge controllers is the latest innovation in Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) charge controllers from OutBack Power Technologies. The innovative Fangpusun MPPT software algorithm is both continuous and active, increasing your photovoltaic array power yield up to 30% compared to non-MPPT controllers. Thanks to active cooling and intelligent thermal management cooling, both Fangpusun charge controllers can operate at their full maximum current rating, 60 Amps or 80 Amps respectively, in ambient temperatures as high as 104°F (40°C).

Included in all of the Fangpusun Charge Controllers are the revolutionary features first developed by OutBack Power, including support for a wide range of nominal battery voltages and the ability to step-down a higher voltage solar array to recharge a lower voltage battery bank. A built-in, backlit 80 character display shows the current status and logged system performance data for the last 128 days at the touch of a button. The integrated OutBack network communications allows Fangpusun series Charge Controllers to be remotely programmed and monitored via a MATE system display and provides unrivaled complete system integration

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Found this quite a while back... Not sure exactly who's dollars this price is in but it's less than $700 it looks like...
    USD ? Australian ? Martian ?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/MPPT-Solar-charge-controller-60A-80A_1852118911.html

It's probably the same as the OB but who knows if it has been cheapened up now ? (FETs ?)
    And trying to get warranty or service from China may not be that easy.
  • gww1

If I thought I was getting an outback I would like to get an outback. If I knew and was not mislead and bought one then it would be my fault.
    gww
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

I saw one of these units at one of our solar stores here. They were selling for like 580$US!
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    I saw one of these units at one of our solar stores here. They were selling for like 580$US!

That's more than NAWS sells the real thing for. :p

I hope Outback/Alpha takes legal action against these criminals and stops import and sales. Pretty bold-faced crooks.
  • boB

DMJ72, was this in the US ?

I showed a few guys from Outback this unit and they didn't know about it.

I'm pretty sure these are from the company in China that used to actually build the complete
    FM60/FM80s after they were built in the US. They were all built in Arlington, WA when I was there.

Not sure there is much they can do about it except ones being sold in the USA ?
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭

I hope they have some legal action that can be taken.

The Chinese run some low life companies to do such things.
    Paul
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    ILFE wrote: »
    I hope they have some legal action that can be taken.

The Chinese run some low life companies to do such things.

Regrettably this is true. BC is a dumping ground for counterfeit goods made in China. When they are found they are seized and destroyed. This case is a bit more complicated because they aren't actually using the Outback name on the product.
  • boB
    Regrettably this is true. BC is a dumping ground for counterfeit goods made in China. When they are found they are seized and destroyed. This case is a bit more complicated because they aren't actually using the Outback name on the product.

The think here is that these are not necessarily "counterfeit" in the sense that they were "copied". This company (I'm pretty sure) used to make the same
    controllers in China that were shipped and sold here.... (i.e. contract manufacturer)

Unless they cheapened up some parts, they would be exactly the same controllers that people bought before except
    for the name and of course warranty service might not be any good.

Still not a good reason to buy them and they shouldn't be doing this. That is one good reason not to have your products built overseas
    because of scenarios just like this.

If anyone does buy one of these, I'd love to hear about it.
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    boB wrote: »
    DMJ72, was this in the US ?

I showed a few guys from Outback this unit and they didn't know about it.

I'm pretty sure these are from the company in China that used to actually build the complete
    FM60/FM80s after they were built in the US. They were all built in Arlington, WA when I was there.

Not sure there is much they can do about it except ones being sold in the USA ?

No, this was in Jamaica, last week! There was a FM60 beside it. It felt identical. The LCD on the clone was a different shade .. way green. I no longer buy solar equipment there. I prefer the places that are authorised dealers.
  • gww1
    Still not a good reason to buy them and they shouldn't be doing this. That is one good reason not to have your products built overseas
    because of scenarios just like this.

They buy and then copy stuff, or just look at a picture and try to build it. I always thought it was kind of crazy for manufacturers to make thier best stuff where the goverment owns all the buisness. I guess it has its advantages as the gov. can control the workforce but where do you go with your problims if the arbritrator is also the owner.

We should buy their good stuff and they can buy our good stuff but I don't understand teaching and or financing them to do our good stuff so we can buy it from them. Its got to be hard having your own good stuff used against you.
    gww
  • OldMan
    OldMan Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018 #13
    I remain unconvinced the Chinese ones are not real controllers without American branding. I'd have to see real proof Victrons and Outbacks are NOT made in China. MANY manufacturers in China offer branding on the covers. Why would Fangpusun market their own? Because Victron and Outback moved the manufacturing. I don't believe in high-dollar solar companies being any different than their Chinese counterparts in ANY way.
    I will import from China as a flipoff to Trump. As a matter of fact, this is what I've ordered...$375 delivered to my address. Beats Outback and Victron.
    Finally, I will do what's best for my family. Family comes first. If we can't afford to buy US, we won't. Ootay adbay.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Seconds? Blemished? or just copied?...MidNite is one of a few  Home Made Brands left...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018 #15
    Here's another rip off of a well known product. If you look on Alibaba there seems to be a huge amount of this going on by this company. I will say this, when it comes to customer service or any parts/repair situation I would guess you're SOL with this shameless Chicom company

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May not be an issue for you, but local AHJ may want a US ETL certification.  

You'd think if it was an exact copy, getting ETL wouldn't be a huge problem.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter