My goofy questions

Options
maurice
maurice Registered Users Posts: 2
We are interested in solar, and been reading up on solar.

Ok, my first goofy question, can solar panels substitute for roofing material? Yes, I know a manufacturer would have to approve it. And there are so many reasons not to do this. But hear me out a bit. Innovation starts with the person who is willing to think outside of the "its always been done this way" box. We have a pole barn, and am thinking of expanding the pole barn, for reasons completely unrelated to solar. Rain water does not go THRU the solar panels, right? Any reason why a solar panel manufacturer could not invent some trim to go with a solar panel that could prevent rain from dropping between panels?

Consider, a garage or building could have the roof support system customized for optimal solar angle, avoid buying roofing that goes under the panels, the underside of the panels may be a bit cooler exposed to the interior of the building than if it had a roof under it. Electrical conduit would not have to pass thru the roof. I have read talk about eventually solar panel prices and installation might reduce, so by reducing the need for roofing materials prices might reduce.

Thank you for listening.
Maurice

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: My goofy questions

Welcome to the forum Maurice.

There actually are solar panels which serve as roofing. They've been around quite some time but have not gained acceptance because of the installation difficulties. As for using standard PV's for roofing ... no one has made a system where this works and can be guaranteed 100% weather-tight. You have to mount them somehow, and the frames do not lend themselves to leak-proof sealing between.

But in theory yes, a framing system such as used on greenhouses could be employed to turn the PV into roofing. They are basically large sheets of glass, though, and as such more easily damaged - creating leaks.

Somewhere on here I believe forum member rollandelliot ventured into just such an idea as you propose. For a carport as I recall.
  • maurice
    maurice Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Re: My goofy questions

Thank you!

I had been reading on here, and had not found that thread.