24 volt system panel wiring

Options
cliff4079
cliff4079 Registered Users Posts: 8
Hello, I had a thread in here about a system I am building and got most of the info I need. Thanks for all the help so far. I think I just have one more question, I ended up finding some panels somewhat local, shipping was very expensive per panel since I was only looking to buy 4. I found these and picked them up on Friday.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Sorry for the poor pics, hard to get a good angle on the sticker and still be able to read it.

Should I wire these in 2 sets of two in series then parallel or just parallel all 4 of them together? My previous panel selection would have been the 2 sets of 2 to get the voltage up but the voltage is a bit higher on these so I'm not sure.

This will be for charging a 24v system with a Midnite KID controller.

EDIT-
Also, if either would work is one way more efficient than the other? My thought would be 2 sets of 2 in series/parallel would possibly provide better low light charging because of the constantly higher voltage on the PV side of the system even not in full sun and the MPPT controller would just create more amperage as voltage/light increases? Let me know if I am was off base here, I'm still new and learning.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the help :)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    Re: 24 volt swsyem panel wiring
    cliff4079 wrote: »
    Should I wire these in 2 sets of two in series then parallel or just parallel all 4 of them together? My previous panel selection would have been the 2 sets of 2 to get the voltage up but the voltage is a bit higher on these so I'm not sure.

This will be for charging a 24v system with a Midnite KID controller.

The kid will be slightly more efficient (probably) with 4 in parallel. With 2x2, you will not need a combiner (fuse/breaker per string) and you can uses smaller gauge cables (much less copper expense--especially if you have to send the array power some distance).

Overall--It is probably a wash--But I would go with 2x2 and possibly an on/off switch (or DIN Rail breaker from Midnite) in the solar panel input so you shut down the controller for service.

Some people use the combiner so they can shut down one panel string at a time to debug low production problems (turn off a string, and the power output remains the same, you found the problem location). Off course, if you buy an AC/DC Current Clamp DMM (like this one from Sears), you can simply measure the panel string current (and other currents) directly.
    Also, if either would work is one way more efficient than the other? My thought would be 2 sets of 2 in series/parallel would possibly provide better low light charging because of the constantly higher voltage on the PV side of the system even not in full sun and the MPPT controller would just create more amperage as voltage/light increases? Let me know if I am was off base here, I'm still new and learning.

You will not gain any power output from 2x2 array in low light--Panels output near Vmp as soon as you get weak direct sun (early morning/late evening) on the panels. At that point, the current is proportional to the amount of sun hitting the panel. If there is not enough light to hit (near) Vmp--Then there is virtually zero current available too.

If you have shading issues--A 1sx4p array may give you more power... 1 shaded panel, 25% array power reduction.

On a 2x2 array, 1 panel shaded gives you a 50% power reduction (entire string output is zeroed out by shade/drop in Vmp-shaded vs unshaded Vmp.

All in all--I probably would go with the 2x2 setup (less copper, less connections, no combiner box, get the DC Current Clamp DMM). But either configuration is fine.

Note that 4 panels is somewhat large for the Kid on a 24 volt system, about 33 amps typical maximum solar output will be clamped to 30 amp by kids... If you ever plan on adding more solar, you might want to think about a single Classic 150 vs a pair of Kids.

4x 310 Watt panels * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/29 volts charging = 32.9 amps "typical" maximum current

Will not hurt the Kid--Most MPPT controllers are designed to safely/reliably limit maximum output current.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cliff4079
    Options

I noticed that, I did the calculator on the kid Web site so I will just get a classic instead. If I did 4x1 with 8awg wire from each panel into a combiner box @ less than 20ft. per wire would that be adequate?

Also on a side note, was $325 a panel a good price on those panels?

Thanks again for your help, you guys are awesome!
  • BB.
    Options

What do you mean by 4x1? 4 parallel by 1 series (just to be clear).

8 awg @ 20 feet and 8.42 amps?

Generic voltage drop calculator: 0.3 Volt drop per string

You could probably get away with 14 AWG wire too at 1 volt drop too.

From the combiner to the controller, you are looking at ~33+ amps -- So you will need some heavier gauge wire there.

If you are going to add panels to the array later--I would really look at 2 panel in series. Will make the wiring 1/2 as many runs (and breakers in the combiner box)--And much less copper too (1/4 or le$$ copper).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

310 Watts * 4 = 1240 Watts = 39 Amps @ 24 Volts = too much for a Kid.
    Two parallel strings of two in series is the best configuration even though these can run all in parallel due to 36 Vmp. Controller efficiency will not be greatly reduced. That puts the Vmp of the array at 72-ish and the current around 17 Amps. You could get away with 14 AWG, but 12 AWG would be better.

$1.05 per Watt is good price!
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Panels output near Vmp as soon as you get weak direct sun

And in the morning before you get weak direct sun, you get even higher voltage from the weak indirect sun! (Voc is higher than Vmp)

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • cliff4079
    Options
    Re: 24 volt system panel wiring

Ok, so to answer the question in the previous reply, I meant all 4 panels paralleled into 1 output. Sorry for the poor wording :)

I already bought 200ft of 8awg wire so I will use that, going to get the Midnite classic 150 controller and wire the panels into 2 strings of 2 using the 8awg wire into a combiner box (including fuses or breakers, haven't priced/decided yet) and I bought 2/0 wire to make the connection from controller to the battery bank and from the bank to the inverter.

Sound right?

Thanks for the awesomeness!!!!!!!!
  • BB.
    Options

No worry, just trying to be exact/clear.

You could get a higher voltage Classic controller and do 4 panels on series.

System sounds fine. Check village drop /maximum current with calculator and NEC.

-Bill
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
    Options
    ... and I bought 2/0 wire to make the connection from controller to the battery bank and from the bank to the inverter.

Sound right?

What size inverter? This will determine what cable to use between it and the battery bank. Your inverter manual should provide you with some guidance wrt wire size.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok, so to answer the question in the previous reply, I meant all 4 panels paralleled into 1 output. Sorry for the poor wording :)

I already bought 200ft of 8awg wire so I will use that, going to get the Midnite classic 150 controller and wire the panels into 2 strings of 2 using the 8awg wire into a combiner box (including fuses or breakers, haven't priced/decided yet) and I bought 2/0 wire to make the connection from controller to the battery bank and from the bank to the inverter.

Sound right?

I have a small system like this , your 8 awg wire is huge and will be a PAIN to work with . a few rolls of 10awg in colours from the box stores ,run 4 wires in two runs to the MC4 splitting connection one for each pos & neg wire so two per panel . That will help your wiring & save a few dollars also. Your 2/0 wire will be bolted to the Wizbang jr only . Classics & kids can't handle 8awg unless they get a crimp & ferrel ending with a smaller diameter . Manual states 10 AWG I believe is Max for the internal screw clamps.
    Just a few of my ideas .
    You can use the 8 awg for higher amperage stuff for less VD
    VT