Photovoltaic roof tiles and shingles in the US?

Hello,

I was roaming the web about PV technologies and stumbled upon:
http://www.pvresources.com/en/rooftile.php
which talks about PV cells integrated into roofs as tiles or shingles. Seems to have examples outside the US - does anyone know whether the US has started doing that as well?

Tom

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Photovoltaic roof tiles and shingles in the US?

Since cost was a listed constraint for you ( and most folks ), Roof singles are a non-starter as they are VERY expensive on a price/watt

Uni-Solar product won't pass CA's electrical code as each shingles wires enters the attic area to be serially connected to the Next. In Ca, this would require EMT for each shingle!

Just go with the Sanyo and be done with it! :roll:
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

not exactly solar tiles or shingles but similar-ish
    http://www.kyocerasolar.com/products/meridian.html
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

thanks. i thought there would be some reason(s) they weren't wildly popular here. they sure look nice though.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i don't like it because of the odd voltage it operates at and it leaves few options for controller choices for battery systems or you'd need way too many of the panels to use in a grid tie system coupled with only a 20yr warranty for crystaline modules that normally have a 25yr warranty. you would also be locked into only buying their modules due to the customizing whereas a rail system on a roof can allow similar pvs to be mounted, but even reworking the rails wouldn't compare to the complexity of their pv roofing system. look out if they discontinue the product too.
  • marks
    marks Registered Users Posts: 17

Sharp offers a Built-in PV roof panel, it looks very cool. The specs are available at the Sharp web site, however this panel's mounting requirement causes it to get hotter than any other type of installation.