PV and PHEV's

SolarJohn
SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭
I read an article about plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV's) yesterday that gave me an idea. With gasoline prices now at a record high, wouldn't it be great to drive a vehicle that is powered by the sun! However, the charging requirements are pretty high; 15 amps at 120 volts for 9 hours. It would take a big PV system to supply that much power. On the other hand gasoline prices will probably continue to rise, and I'm already spending almost $200 per month to commute to and from work each week. It seems like a PV system to charge the PHEV might just pay for itself in a few years, especially when state and federal tax breaks are applied to the PV system and the vehicle.

Like an ordinary hybrid, the PHEV has a gasoline engine. This extends its range, and it could also make up for charging deficiencies due to clouds. Of course I can also charge the PHEV with utility-supplied power when necessary. The article said that one dollars worth of electricity would be the equivalent of about one gallon of gasoline.

What do you think?

John

Comments

• SolarJohn
    Re: PV and PHEV's

Excuse my typo: I meant to say that I'm spending $200 per month on gasoline to commute to and from work.

John
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Check our Darell's site. He has a Rav4 EV and has a 3kw grid tied system. He sells on peak during the day and charges his EV at night and comes out ahead $ wise.

http://evnut.com/
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • SolarJohn

Thanks Brock,

There's a lot of good information on Darell's website. I also rented the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car." I really like the idea of not buying gasoline, and am going to make that my long-term goal. If the cost of solar panels ever goes down, that won't be too difficult to do.

John
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

the solar will only be a power source to charge the batteries in the car and though the pvs would be expensive if you think that is the only thing holding you back then you haven't any arguement for not doing it anyway as the grid could charge the batteries far cheaper. though the pvs are an expense, that car would be a bigger one by far.
  • SolarJohn

Thanks Niel, I see your point. But since I typically buy a new car anyway every four or five years, I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to get a PHEV instead of a regular hybrid or gas-only car. For economic reasons, I'll probably depend upon the grid charging as you mentioned, but it is a good feeling to have another option (PV) for charging the car.

When you consider that trouble in the Middle East could cause another gas shortage, and considering the recent surge in gasoline prices, a gas-optional car sounds better all the time.

John
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

your answer then is to get the car now then and get pvs later on down the road to power it.
  • SolarJohn

I'm not quite ready to trade my current car, but then PHEV's are not available at this time anyway (except for custom conversions). The movie "Who Killed the Electric Car" explains why. But yes, my plan is to buy a PHEV in 1.5 to 2.5 years. Meanwhile, I continue to add solar panels to my current array, and will use that as well as the grid for charging the car.

The A123 batteries (lithium ion I believe), are a really exciting development where electric cars and off-grid PV systems are concerned. Now we just have to wait for the price to come down.

John
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    SolarJohn wrote:
    I read an article about plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV's) yesterday that gave me an idea.  With gasoline prices now at a record high, wouldn't it be great to drive a vehicle that is powered by the sun!  ....

What do you think?
    SolarJohn -

I think you're onto something! :) And trust me - it was great to be powered by the sun even when gas was $1.50. The only difference is that back then all my neighbors thought I was a fringe lunatic. Today I'm suddenly the smartest guy on the block. The only difference? Gas prices.

If you are grid-tied, you simply don't need a giant system to make this work. You generate during the day, and you charge at night. If you have Time of Use billing, you get a nice financial benefit. In fact, everybody wins as you are making clean power during peak times, and using power when there is excess in the system.

There are plenty of NEVs on the market (25mph max) and a few expensive, high-performance freeway EVs starting to be delivered. In a few years we'll have PHEV options from the factory, and if all goes well - real, affordable EVs. At that point, I'll have to find another cause. ;)
  • SolarJohn

It's good to hear from you Darelldd, I really enjoyed your website. You might have been considered a fringe lunatic at one time, but your surely going to be seen as a visionary in the future.

John
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

John -

Thanks for the nice words! I find that people have short memories in stuff like this. Now that EVs seem to "make sense" because of high gas prices, most people think that they are wise to "discover" them now. Of course they also want them perfect and cheap at this point. I mean *somebody* really should have worked all the kinks out before gas got so darned expensive, and we're FORCED to pay such high prices.

Ah well. I wish it didn't take expensive gas for people to start thinking this way... but I'll take what I can get.