I want to utilize both legs of my generators split output. Transformer?

Dan_
Dan_ Solar Expert Posts: 61 ✭✭✭✭
I have a 3200W 240v generator and an Outback FX3048 (120v input). Id like to balance the generator and utilize both legs of its output. I see Outback has a transformer but its rather pricey. Am I barking up the right tree? Any other options?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: I want to utilize both legs of my generators split output. Transformer?
    Dan_ wrote: »
    I have a 3200W 240v generator and an Outback FX3048 (120v input). Id like to balance the generator and utilize both legs of its output. I see Outback has a transformer but its rather pricey. Am I barking up the right tree? Any other options?

You have correctly figured out the solution and the price to pay. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: I want to utilize both legs of my generators split output. Transformer?

There are a few 120/240 VAC gensets that either have a 120 VAC only mode (switch on the panel), or can be reconfigured internally to run the two 120 VAC circuits in parallel (full power in 120 VAC only mode).

This may give you some idea on how to proceed--If you want to hack up your generator (vs the cost of the Outback transformer).

http://www.utterpower.com/synchronous-generator-basics-simple-guide-to-rewire-your-head/

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset