Solyndra panels today

Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
An actual ad posted on the Vancouver Craigslist. Make of it what you will.

" Solnyndra Solar panels (West Vancouver, B.C.)
Solyndra Solar photovoltaic systems comprised of panels and mounting hardware for low slope, commercial rooftops.
We are a property management company in West Vancouver. We have purchased solar panels "Solyndra" for installation in our buildings in West Vancouver.
However, we have over purchased this product and therefore we would like to sell this product at a reasonable price.

If you are interested, please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail for more information about the product. "

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solyndra panels today

yea, they over purchased via bankruptcy and are now looking to profit on unwarranted pvs.

nothing wrong with that if they tell the prospective buyer exactly what it is they are buying and are priced accordingly.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

There have been a few that popped up on a German wholesale site too, ridiculously expensive, upwards of $3/Watt and they clearly stated that it's sold without guarantee. Madness.
    :confused:
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

There are couple of resellers on Ebay. They are usually priced at $1.50 a watt or less if you dont mind paying the shipping. Considering that name brand PVs (also lacking warrantees) can be had in the $0.90 cents a watt range it doesnt make a lot of sense but they did seem to have a niche for rooftop installs. I expect many of the potential buyers dont realize that in addition to the tubes, they have to buy custom mounting brackets.

I must admit, I bought one of their presentation models from the guy that used to make them. They were given to visiting politicians and is a nice reinforcement that when government gets involved with generous subsidies, theres is always someone who figures a way of ripping off the funds. One of these days I need to put it in the sun and see how many fractional watts it puts out. THe tube is acrylic instead of glass so its not much value except for a paperweight.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

You can buy name brand panels With Warranty for less than $0.90 per watt. Single panel pricing of warranty panels at $1.00.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • ajit
    ajit Registered Users Posts: 3

Dear Sir We already hv Series 200 Panels OF SOLYNDRA & ARE STUCK FOR INSTALLATION OF THE SAME ie WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW IS THAT DO THESE SOLYNDRA PANELS ie whether the modules are compatible with transformer less string inverters / IS IT MANDATORY TO GROUND THE SOLAR PANEL IF YES THEN THE +VE /-VE ie WHICH IS TO BE GROUNDED. ONCE WE ARE SUCCESSFULL IN THIS INSTALLATION THEN WE WILL HV TO EXPAND WITH AN EQUAL NOS
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

Full installation manual for Solyndra here: http://ftp.phoenixsolar.com/products/modules/Solyndra/cigs-SL-001/X_Solyndra%20Serie%201/Manual/Solyndra%20Serie%201%20Manual_InstallationManual-v1-3aa-English.pdf they don't mention anything about positive grounding, so I'd _assume_ they're compatible with transformerless inverters.
  • rajesh
    rajesh Registered Users Posts: 1
    ajit wrote: »
    Dear Sir We already hv Series 200 Panels OF SOLYNDRA & ARE STUCK FOR INSTALLATION OF THE SAME ie WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW IS THAT DO THESE SOLYNDRA PANELS ie whether the modules are compatible with transformer less string inverters / IS IT MANDATORY TO GROUND THE SOLAR PANEL IF YES THEN THE +VE /-VE ie WHICH IS TO BE GROUNDED. ONCE WE ARE SUCCESSFULL IN THIS INSTALLATION THEN WE WILL HV TO EXPAND WITH AN EQUAL NOS

I have the same question. Buying series 200 panels on craigslist. Don't know which inverter to get. Can you please let me know if you were able to successfully install with transformer less inverter? And any other components or recommendations, and installation tips from your experiences?

Thanks.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

As far as I know, these are standard thin film panels with 600 volt minimum UL Listing
    Just like any other thin film panel a similar ratings.

My question is why? You can get flat panels for $1 per Watt or less. The racking probably costs more.

If the solyndra panels are near free, perhaps worth playing with.

If this is s contractor job, the 5-10 year warranty exposure would be a concern with solyndra gone.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ZoNiE
    ZoNiE Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭

FYI, 200 series panels do not need to be grounded. The frames are fully insulated. They are isolated from the rooftop via the stands, which have plastic bases.

" The 200 Series requires no tools for installation. The lightweight panels install without penetrations or array grounding, making this the easiest and
    fastest to install rooftop solar system yet. Ideal for older or “value engineered” buildings, the low distributed roof load is less than 3 pounds per square
    foot. Snap-together mounts dramatically lower labor costs and shorten project times for large rooftop solar installations. This minimizes business
    disruption and makes it a simple process should you need to move the system for future roofing, retrofit or ownership changes."
    They really are a well engineered system, all the way down to the crating materials. Had they been mfg'd in a lower cost market, Maybe Mexico, they
    stood a chance of making it. "

Each sealed glass tube is it's own individual 90V CIGS collector, and each collector is wired to the rest by the insulated frame rails. I played with the idea of cutting them into smaller panels since it is theoretically possible.

I've got three 173W 200 series panels I want to part with. Includes 8 stands.

I was gonna use them for my camper but are too large. They would work nicely with an MPPT charger if used off grid.
    rajesh wrote: »
    I have the same question. Buying series 200 panels on craigslist. Don't know which inverter to get. Can you please let me know if you were able to successfully install with transformer less inverter? And any other components or recommendations, and installation tips from your experiences?

Thanks.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

try the FOR SALE thread....

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada