Outback Radian GS4048A Blew a Fuse

Wxboy
Wxboy Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭
This morning the light was off in the refrigerator that was on solar power. I went downstairs to check on things and noticed the light was off on the Mate 3. No voltage at the inverter terminals. I checked the Class T fuse coming off the battery bank and it looked visibly fine but had no continuity across it. What would cause the fuse to blow/what can I check before I blow another one? The refrigerator was the only thing hooked up at the time. I had only plugged it into the inverter a few minutes before so whatever happened occurred within the first few minutes of running today.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Outback Radian GS4048A Blew a Fuse

Two things pop fuses: over-current and defective fuse. What size fuse was it? Ought to be 150 Amp I believe.

Or why circuit breakers are better for this 'cause you can just turn them on again.

The next step would be to take the load off and fire it up again and see what happens.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I'v had a couple of them blow where I could not attribute it to any one cause. I have a small jumper with battery clips and a 20 amp fuse in the middle that I have used to jump around them to see if the Inverter will fire up without a load and then apply a small load before replacing the fuse. It could be a internal problem, hard to know.
  • Wxboy
    Two things pop fuses: over-current and defective fuse. What size fuse was it? Ought to be 150 Amp I believe.

Or why circuit breakers are better for this 'cause you can just turn them on again.

The next step would be to take the load off and fire it up again and see what happens.

It was a 400 amp fuse. Not the correct size but it's what I was using. Eventually I will get a circuit breaker because I would prefer having a shutoff but I'll have to save up first. I do have an ANL fuse that I use on my Xantrex inverter so I'll probably use that for testing and if it works ok I'll get a 150 amp class T fuse(maybe two).
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

3K on the inverter, 80 bucks for the breaker not gona break the bank.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Wxboy

Well the Radian is dead. Outback is sending me a new power module to install.

Anyone want a used 4048A? Only used 2 months.
  • verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Wxboy wrote: »
    Anyone want a used 4048A? Only used 2 months.

How much? Adding characters
  • Wxboy

Pm me an offer if you are interested.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Before you sell that Radian wait and see what Outback sends you and what they want in return. Chances are you will get a new power board only, and they will want the old one for analysis.
  • Wxboy
    Before you sell that Radian wait and see what Outback sends you and what they want in return. Chances are you will get a new power board only, and they will want the old one for analysis.

The plan is to pull out the dead power module, replace it with the new one, and send return the old one.
  • Wxboy

I installed the new power module and the Radian is working again. Swapping out the module was quick and easy. Hopefully no more fixes are required for a long time.
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

Good to see that great Outback support in action.

So I guess you are keeping the Radian ?
  • Wxboy
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    Good to see that great Outback support in action.

So I guess you are keeping the Radian ?

As of now I do plan to keep it. I did a lot of research before I made the purchase so I guess I shouldn't let one problem discourage me.