New Morningstar Controller: The SunSaver Duo™

crewzer
crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
The April / May 2007 issue (#118) of Home Power magazine includes an ad (pg 20) for a new controller from Morningstar: the SunSaver Duo™. The 12 V x 25 A PWM controller can independently charge two battery banks (i.e., house and engine), and it includes a remote meter display. Looks like this might be a pretty useful solution for RV and boat applications… cool! 8-)

I wasn’t able to find any info posted on the Morningstar website.

Here’s to a bunch of great new products expected this year!

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Comments

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Re: New Morningstar Controller: The SunSaver Duo™

Jim in the same homepower issue Appollo has a cold weather cutout to take 1 module out of the string when temps fall below 10c to keep voltage down. Havent looked at Appollo's sight but might be of interest for the mx users course the classic may eliminate this problem :roll:
  • crewzer

Yep... and Midnite Solar's ad features their latest E-Panel to support Magnum's new MS4448 inverter: 4400 W, 48 VDC in, and 120/240 VAC out... cool! 8-)

Jim / crewzer
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

I saw that low temp panel drop out as well. I really wonder how that works though. Do you place in where they are all in series at the combiner box? I have always though about adding a controller that if the temp got to a certain temp it just added a small load like a 7 1/2 watt 120v lamp or maybe 15w 120vac lamp so the open voltage wouldn't get as high.

And I also say that larger E-Panel. Nice.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Yes it is shaping up to be an expensive year isnt it :-D
  • crewzer

Info on the new SunSaver DuoTM is now available on Morningstar's website.

See: http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/SunSaverDuo/SunSaverDuo.shtml

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Just as a follow up, as of April 18 we still do not have pricing or a ship date on the new dual charger.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

this looks cool. hey, I have a ? on controllers: my only experience with controllers is my mx60- if my batts are full (or even charging) when i turn on a load the system will pull in extra from the pv's, as much as possible. do all controllers do this? i read something here recently i think that made me wonder .

curious in MA
  • crewzer
    hey, I have a ? on controllers: my only experience with controllers is my mx60- if my batts are full (or even charging) when i turn on a load the system will pull in extra from the pv's, as much as possible. do all controllers do this?

When a charger is operating in its Bulk mode (B-MPPT on the MX60), it’s delivering all available power from the array to the batteries, subject, of course, to controller architectural limits. An MPPT controller will deliver more power than a PWM controller if the array’s MPPT voltage is higher than the battery voltage. If a load is placed on the batteries during this charging stage, charge current to the batteries will be reduced.

When a charger is operating in its Absorb or Float modes, it’s delivering only sufficient current to maintain the battery’s target voltage. Typically, not all of the power available from the array is used in these stages, and this is true of both MPPT controllers and series PWM controllers. Just as an aside, MPPT controllers offer no performance advantage (“current boost”) in either of these two stages when there’s no load on the batteries. If a load is placed on the batteries during either of these charging stages, the PV array will supply additional power, subject to its instantaneous operating limit, of course, without reducing battery charge current. If the load is too large, the controller will switch back to Bulk mode, and battery charging current will be reduced.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

this was the part i was unclear on, whether other controllers, be they pwm or mppt, will pull extra current (if available), during those stages. thanks!
    crewzer wrote:
    If a load is placed on the batteries during either of these charging stages, the PV array will supply additional power, subject to its instantaneous operating limit, of course, without reducing battery charge current. If the load is too large, the controller will switch back to Bulk mode, and battery charging current will be reduced.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer