new panel mount up

well for earthday weekend it struck me as i was shoveling the stuff (earth) working on the quintessential earth day project: improving my solar panel mounting for safety AND better production. let me tell you there were some scary moments as i tried lifting some things that were definitely too heavy to be doing alone, but i got it done with only a minor thumb mashing as a wrench slipped ;)

as some of you know i had this roof put on the stairs this year and of course it created the obvious problem displayed in this picture:
http://lamplight.no-ip.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2498

after 3 loooong days in some great weather i just finished up this, im excited bout the 6'+ of extra height for winter production over my neighbors tree:
http://lamplight.no-ip.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2520

the tricky part was designing the whole thing so i could put it up and take it down alone, which i was able to do!

phew!

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: new panel mount up

Mattl,

Looks great! 8-) Hey, how about telling us more about your skylight, perhaps as a topic in "Energy Use and Conservation" forum.

Thanks!
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

we'll be awaiting reports from you this winter on your improved location. curious, why didn't you mount them on top of the roof rather than beside it?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks guys. Jim what skylight? i have a suntube, that what you meant ? its ok.

Neil, yes obvious choice and its exactly what i was going to do. i had enough aluminum hardware that came with the initial 2 panels pictured to bolt them up all 3 panels as one piece. If i put that piece on the roof it would've overhung the roof, not looking so great (to me). mounting them separately and vertically also would have worked but that would have been 4 mounts per panel (x3) and a LOT of work. so since i already had 2 posts in place i thought it would look pretty good if i could get the bottom overhangs and pitch to match, and would provide a bit more weather protection to the stairway like this (it's actually our tenant's stairs) . theres a 6" gap between the panels and roof. as it turned out i had to lift 2 of the panels quite high, involved all kinds of temporary bracing. the bottom 2 mounts to the array are attached to aluminum mounts that pivot the whole array, about 24" from the front lip. this i had to attach first then i attached the back legs and just walk it up to height. i swung it down to install the 3rd panel once it seemed like it would work ok as planned. i have 5/8" threaded stainless steel bolts at each corner (the 2 front on an aluminum pv mount, and the two back through 2X. im going to see if i can get some info on the shear strength of those at the hardware store as Im a little nervous with the height (about 16' in the back i think it is)!

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, the suntube...

Thanks,
    Jim / crewzer