Inverter too small?

KenZ71
KenZ71 Solar Expert Posts: 58 ✭✭
Might be a newbie question

So, I was looking over the specs for the equipment SolarCity stuck on my roof and it seems the inverter might be a bit too small.

What I got:

25 Canadian Solar # Cs6P-250PX
1 SolarEdge SE6000A-US-ZB-U

The specs I see online say the panels are rated 250 watts each which works out to 6,250. However the inverter is rated for 6,000. Is this an issue? Or due to real world output I will never be close to the inverter's max so nothing to worry about?

In the past two weeks the system has been running I am seeing about 25Kwh of power per day. Located in CT, USA on a south west facing roof.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: Inverter too small?

In real world, over paneling by around 0.77 is perfectly OK (more won't break anything--Just more "clipping of output current on a sunny day).

6,000 Watt GT inverter / 0.77 = 7,792 Watt array "cost effective maximum"

Or:

25 * 250 Watt array * 0.77 = 4,812.5 Watt typical maximum in average/warm weather

Only on very cool/clear days, with very clean panels, will you see anywhere near 6,000 Watt output.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • KenZ71
    KenZ71 Solar Expert Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Re: Inverter too small?

Ok, thanks!

Being in the Nort East US we get enough rain where Mother Nature should be able to keep the panels clean.