Thirty Second Battery Charging

Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DhJZAhjbcI

I'm kinda wondering how easily this could be upscalled and what the benefits might be. If nothing else it lends some interesting possibilities for solar and wind in the future.

Comments

• feedhorn
    feedhorn Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Re: Thirty Second Battery Charging

Looks like a phone with a lead acid battery on the back.
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Calling it a battery is a bit of a misnomer as the energy is not stored in a conventional chemical reaction. The energy is stored in fields similar to a super-cap with excitons or phonons as the energy carrier.

Attachment not found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exciton
    http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2010/explained-phonons-0706
  • Steven Lake

So in other words about all it'd be good for was the impatient phone user, but not anything the size of a solar power system.
  • feedhorn

To charge a 3000 mah phone battery in 30 seconds would require a 360 amp charge current. Can you say 60 lb wall wart?
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    So in other words about all it'd be good for was the impatient phone user, but not anything the size of a solar power system.

I could see it being useful in a EV or something that needed to convert stored rotational energy into stored electrical energy quickly if it had a energy density advantage over electrochemical supercaps that have about 1/5 the density of a lithium ion battery.
    http://nanotechweb.org/cws/article/lab/53814
    Making a practical device is another story.
  • Steven Lake
    feedhorn wrote: »
    To charge a 3000 mah phone battery in 30 seconds would require a 360 amp charge current. Can you say 60 lb wall wart?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Now that's a picture to go to sleep with. :D
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    feedhorn wrote: »
    We did a 3600mah battery in 90 seconds with a wall wart that weighed about two pounds, most of which was heat sink. It's definitely doable. One big advantage is that your thermal design doesn't have to be for steady state operation.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

A standard cellphone has current limiting for the battery, so it is not charging the oem battery - at least as far as I can see.

It is a large external battery pack that connects to the internal terminals. If you had the diy skills to do so, you could grab some high-rate 18650 cells or the like, and put them into a box just like it and charge them up externally at 10C or so. This won't work with the oem charge port! :)

Is that charging application "vetted" by Samsung for accuracy with their product?

To me, the way it is presented without any substantiation, is a big pass.

Everybody and their brother wants to be the "disruptive" technology to replace li-ion. Uh huh. Talk and investor pitches are one thing. Bringing it to market without being single-vendor lock-in technology is another. Making it successful and maintaining success with it is the other side of the coin so you aren't left with an orphan tech.

In the meantime, sales/investor pitches just go on and on....
  • feedhorn
    We did a 3600mah battery in 90 seconds with a wall wart that weighed about two pounds, most of which was heat sink. It's definitely doable. One big advantage is that your thermal design doesn't have to be for steady state operation.

There is a HUGE difference between 30 seconds and 90 seconds when it comes to fast charging!
    I think charging in 5 minutes would be a better target.
  • Steven Lake

Oh, I fully agree. The problem these days however is the incredible number of impatient people. Either they get it now, or better yet as of yesterday, or else there will be hell to pay. I think my ideal charging technology would be, not one that charges fast, although fast would be nice, but rather one that charges with the greatest efficiency without the need for a charge controller. I want one that can take 100% (or as darned close as humanly possible) of the energy from my solar or wind, or even wall wart, and converted it into store battery energy, and do it without the need for special charging circuits. That to me would be my ideal battery.