Does anyone have an opinion on the Sun Pump solar well pump?

Madmarc
Madmarc Registered Users Posts: 14
Hi! The brand is sun pump. Does anyone have this setup or know about it? The pump runs directly off panels and fill the cistern when sun is available. Seem like a great way around the power hungry submersible well issue.

Thanks!
Marc

Sorry! Posted this in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Madmarc
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Sun Pump solar well pump?

Considering a sun pump to cistern set up for our water supply. Seems like a good way around power hungry AC submersible pumps.

Thanks!
    Marc
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Re: Does anyone have an opinion on the Sun Pump solar well pump?

I have used one in my well and think they are a well made, cost effective pump - However, it only lasted a 18 months in my well because of the large amount of sand in my water which just eats pumps with close clearances (solar pumps going slow). The sun pump is a diaphram pump which when the diaphram fails, the motor gets ruined.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Considering a Sun Power Solar Well Pump and cistern?

Moved into the water pumping thread...

I don't use pumps--But Sun pumps have had a few positive comments in the past here.

A good start--How many gallons of water per day and how much lift do you need? Seasonal pumping (lots in summer, not much in winter, etc.)?

-Bill

PS: Best to keep same/similar questions in one thread.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭

What model pump? I have used sun pump in the past and would not hesitate to use them again for the right application. I had a problem with a controller a year after installation and they replaced the controller no questions asked.
  • Madmarc

The sds 128. At about 100' depth and 100' flat travel to he 1000 gal cistern. We know pumping will be less in the winter but if we're able to get 5 to 10 gal production a day we'll be fine. We are on a south west facing slope with great sun exposure. Thanks!
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

At that depth, The Grundfos AC powered SQ is very efficient, durable, and reasonably priced. Do you have access to AC power and are you offgrid are big questions to answer! Solar sounds great but if it is not needed for the right reasons you can shoot yourself in the wallet or have pump issues.
    Madmarc wrote: »
    Considering a sun pump to cistern set up for our water supply. Seems like a good way around power hungry AC submersible pumps.

Thanks!
    Marc
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭

I looked up the pump. I'm not a big fan of any diaphragm style pump. I would go with a HR or centrifugal.