Used batteries

Fresno,Ca
Fresno,Ca Registered Users Posts: 4
Hello all,
I'm new to solar and setting my motorhome up to hopefully run off solar power only. I've been looking around your forum for awhile. Lots of great info. I of course have lots of question, I'm a complete solar newb!
I currently only have the group 24 7yr old "cabin" battery. I'm hoping to run 2 seperate PV systems, a smaller one to keep cabin battery charged to run the attached RV battery(lights, fantastic vent, water pump, etc).
Then a second larger system to run inverter and larger loads. Anyways, I was on Craigslist and stumbled upon these. It appears the date code wasn't stamped? Is this worth the gamble for such a cheap price? What would you look for to determine age/condition of these? Would these even be descent for a battery bank?
I appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance

http://fresno.craigslist.org/rvs/4618437489.html

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Used batteries

Welcome to the forum.

What does scrap lead go for where you are? Because that's all you can be sure any used battery is worth.
  • Fresno,Ca

Thank you for the welcome, and your input.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have to totally agree with Cariboocot on this issue. Sad but true, scrap is all they'll be worth.
  • Fresno,Ca

Thanks Wayne, I kinda figured the same. But for less then 1/3 of the price of a pair of 6v's, I thought it might be worth the gamble. And like I said before, I'm a newb. Wasn't sure if there was some way to determine life expectancy of a battery or another way to tell how old it is
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Fresno,Ca wrote: »
    Wasn't sure if there was some way to determine life expectancy of a battery or another way to tell how old it is

That is exactly the problem: there's no way to tell what condition the battery is really in. Even if load-tested it may read fine today but because of unknown past abuse may fail tomorrow. The ultimate pig-in-a-poke.
  • Fresno,Ca

Thanks for the clarification guys. I appreciate it!!
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

The two gents above post is 100% and valid , But I have purchased used cells & battery's that Im still using.
    You need to deal on them being used , but for under 70.00 , for huge battery. And now you can learn how to fry a set or reclaim ..

I think core value is 20 -25 each on those !! in USA.
    ez math 2 me

VT

PS , Mr/Ms Fresno,Ca
    I bought my 3 Yotas in Fresno . Landcruiser Diesels were used on the nut farms. Nice folks down there , treated me well being a webbed foot dude in the dry lands .