MidNite solar's Classic

halfcrazy
halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
Did everyone see the info that MidNite has released on the Classic looks like it is going to be a very versatile toy i mean tool :-D they are predicting 200 volts or better and it will buck as well as boost so will charge a 24 volt battery from 12 volt etc check it out http://www.midnitesolar.com/classic%20development%20update3.pdf not shure if the link works but you can cut and paste it. looks like boB and Robin are going to make a nice piece here cant wait to play with one i have a spot picked out right beside my mx60.

It looks like it will be very versatile for the wind guys also. i like the stackability so if you need 120 amps of pv there is only one brain controlling it so one wont go to float before the other.

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: MidNite solar's Classic

Yep... this year's crop of new products will indeed be interesting!

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

>>Yep... this year's crop of new products will indeed be interesting!

Yes it does. Looks like my "other" company will be working on a wind controller as well.

Back 2 werk. Lots to do, lemme' tell ya !
    boB
  • halfcrazy

Well boB keep up the good work we really do appreciate it gives us all sorts of nice toy's i mean equipment to play with. :-D
  • Robin Gudgel
    Robin Gudgel Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭

A companion product to the Classic "the MidNite Clipper will be unveiled at the upcoming MREF in two weeks. It allows a wind turbine to work with the Classic.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Robin, boB;

Hey... Good to hear from you guys! I hope all is going well!

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Robin wrote:
    A companion product to the Classic "the MidNite Clipper will be unveiled at the upcoming MREF in two weeks. It allows a wind turbine to work with the Classic.

hi robin,
    by what you have written here, it implies that the classic will also be unveiled at the same or similar time. am i correct on this? if so congrats is on order on getting this done. going by the positive i gather then also that boB solved the fet problem? :? so many questions to ask, but i'll leave the general info you wish to release up to you. if you email or pm i'll assume that info is not to go public without specifics from you or boB as to what could go public. :-)
  • boB

Niel, neither product is "done" yet...

All is going well though and there IS an end in sight. It always takes longer than expected of course.

>>going by the positive i gather then also that boB solved the fet problem?
    What ? I don't think I have a fet problem. At least not today. :-D

boB

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

robin told me you had some difficulties looking for the right fets for high voltage vs costs at one point. guess that problem doesn't exist now, that's good. we're all still looking forward to that day that you tell us all is done. it has been a long wait, but they say good things come to those that wait.
  • Robin Gudgel
    Robin Gudgel Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭

The fet problem was a matter of finding parts that are good enough for our application. We have always been stuck using whatever Detroit wanted. The Solar industry just wasn't big or important enough to get anything special, well that is until now!!! We hit a Bonanza. Wait until you see what we are up to. It will be very cool. boB definately broke new ground with his MX60. Well, it is a very good unit of course, but we think of it as just good practice. The Classic and Clipper will once again turn the industry on it's head. All we have to do is make it work. Easier said than done with our limited resources. This is fun stuff though.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

HI guys... as more than 4 weeks has passed since the comment above that the 2 new products would be uveiled at "the upcoming MREF (??) in 2 weeks" , did it actually happen? any comments?

looking forward to being able to compare the Classic to an MX60.

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • boB

Hi Eric... At MREF, we just showed the MidNite Clipper/Load/disconnect/surge protector box in the rack that also had a preliminary LCD remote in it. I had just received the first circuit boards for this product so it was not actually working, or hooked up to a wind turbine.

Starting today, at SolarFest in Vermont, Robin has an actual Classic that, sun willing, will be charging 2 L16s with real PV. When I talked with him this morning, he and Mary were driving in quite a downpour of cats and dogs of rain.

No, it's not ready for sale quite yet, but is getting closer every day. Hang on just a bit longer. If someone absolutely needs an MPPT PV only controller today, the MX60 is still a great unit. Otherwise, It'll be well worth the wait, I'm sure of that....

Thanks,
    boB
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

thanks boB, I am in the market...soon, but not immediate,so will wait ..... the dual mode - S(un) /W(ind) is one of my requirements that has puzzled me for a while.

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • halfcrazy

Just hang in there it wont be long now got to play with the classic and learned a ton about wind and the clipper it is going to be a great product and will wrap everything into one nice package wind solar and all. plus the classic has a cool display way more advanced then the mx60 Here is a picture hopefully you can click on it and see the graphical display i mentioned