sunny boy 8000 error

Options
johna
johna Registered Users Posts: 6
Thanks for all the help you have offered me so far . Awesome sight .... I have a sunny 6000 that I am upgrading to a 8000 . when I swap out the 6 for the 8 I get a error code lacl 1 156 v .when I test the power lines going in both are 120 . . every thing is tight . when I put the 6000 back in place it all works . My array is 2 strings of 12 250 watt panels . what am I over looking thanks ...

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: sunny boy 8000 error

Just a wild guess. If you had an older GT inverter, it may only had a two wire 240vac connection (black and red).

Newer gt inverters may need the neutral/white wire connected too--checks for bad/floating neutral connections.

You can ruin a new neutral or jumper the ft inverter neutral to green wire ground (at least for a quick test).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options

Back home... If that error code:

error code lacl 1 156 v

If it reads closer to:

error code Vac L1 156 v

it may mean (around page 80):

http://files.sma.de/dl/4752/SB50US-80US-IA-en-37.pdf
    Voltage is too high or too low on the indicated branch.

I would read that as L1 is reading 156 volts between either L1 and L2 or L1 and Neutral.

Just another guess... Use your volt meter to verify AC line voltages on the Unit (L1/L2/Neutral (if present)/Green Wire Ground connection). Could also be a bad/floating Neural (again, if there is a neutral on this GT inverter--Looks like it does).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • johna
    Options

I called sma and it was that the voltage was off . I need a sma with -12 and the 8000 was a - 10 . I never new that there was a dif the - 10 is for 208 volts and the -12 is for 240 .
  • BB.
    Options

Ouch... The one you got was for three phase power systems (Wye wired).

Is this unit field reprogrammable to 240 VAC by the local distributor/installer?

-Bill
  • johna
    Options

I don't know sma never said it was reprogrammable the did say I could get a dropdown trans former to make it work . The guy I got it from is going to take it back . We are going to go that way .
  • BB.
    Options

A transformer will just add more cost and losses... Avoid it if you can.

-Bill