Anyone have experience with ARB portable fridges?

techntrek
techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
They use the Danfoss compressor, 12-24 volts DC, built in 120 volt power supply, digital controls, multiple sizes. Curious if anyone here has one.
4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Anyone have experience with ARB portable fridges?

Found consumption info here: http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-freezer-fridges/?ex=item_2_1
    Interesting thing, it's average energy use over the 66 hour test was just over 10 watts. Interesting because the one tested was a 33 litre (roughly 2.4 Cu Ft) unit, and it's energy consumption is the same as my 8 Cu Ft freezer converted to fridge.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

I went to the manufacturer's web site and looked at the data for the 82 quart freezer-fridge.

Here are some quotes from the website:
    The all-new 82 qt model is able to maintain sub-freezing temperatures in 90° f heat, while only drawing an intermittent 1.35 amps per hour from a 12 volt power source. That's less than a single headlamp draws!
    Average DC power consumption: 0.7 to 2.3 amp hr depending upon ambient temperature and the volume of food/beverages loaded in the unit.

And this quote is from their manual (downloaded as a pdf file):
    Rated Current:
    12 VDC 7.0 A
    24 VDC 3.0 A
    100-240 VAC 1.3 - 0.7 A (1.4A at 120V AC)

After reading these specifications, I haven't a clue how much energy this thing uses... what is "intermittent amps per hour"?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • techntrek

Assuming they just mean "amps", the low draw is what interests me. This is a quote about their 50 quart model:

All sized models are able to maintain sub-freezing temperatures in 90° F heat, while only drawing 0.87 amps per hour (50QT model) from a 12 volt power source.
  • vtmaps
    techntrek wrote: »
    Assuming they just mean "amps", the low draw is what interests me. This is a quote about their 50 quart model:

All sized models are able to maintain sub-freezing temperatures in 90° F heat, while only drawing 0.87 amps per hour (50QT model) from a 12 volt power source.

The manual (pdf download) for the 50 qt model claims a current draw of 7 amps at 12 volts or 3 amps at 24 volts.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Sounds like the age-old terminology confusion problem.

7 Amps drawn intermittently due to cycling over the course of an hour might add up to 0.87 Amp hours? We all know that "Amps per hour" is wrong, so maybe that's what they mean. Although I'd expect something like 2 Amp hours.

So many factors to how much power a refrigerator uses it sure would help if they used the right words to describe it, eh?
  • techntrek

Their average amperage measurement is over 24 hours including a cool down and maintenance from a specific ambient temperature.
  • Uncle Dave
    Uncle Dave Registered Users Posts: 24
    techntrek wrote: »
    They use the Danfoss compressor, 12-24 volts DC, built in 120 volt power supply, digital controls, multiple sizes. Curious if anyone here has one.

I've had the 63 quart unit for about 6 months now. As a boater I have a lifetime relationship with ice and was looking to divorce.

Im thrilled with the piece, and highly recommend it.

Its well constructed, seals like a vault, uses little energy (Ive dome some prelim with a kilowatt measurements on 120 so far) and can freeze ice cream solid in the back of a parked pickup on black asphalt when its 120 inside.

One annoyance I have is that either the reps are full of it about some features, or documentation is lacking.
    the rep mentions a turbo mode for initial cool down, but I dont see it documented anywhere.

It also "seems" to change its energy usage profile on 12V vs 120-
    It "seems" to be more efficient on 12 which I have a few thoughts on, but haven't measured yet.

Uncle Dave
  • techntrek

Thanks.
  • vtmaps
    Uncle Dave wrote: »
    It also "seems" to change its energy usage profile on 12V vs 120-
    It "seems" to be more efficient on 12 which I have a few thoughts on, but haven't measured yet.

I appreciate your review, thanks.

What do you mean by energy use profile?

Danfoss compressors run natively on 12 volts. I believe the 120 volt capability is just an add-on power supply to make 12 volts. Therefore, there must be some efficiency loss operating at 120 volts. On the other hand, it is possible to make a very very efficient power supply and if they did so, I doubt that you could see any difference in day to day use of the fridge (maybe you could see it on a lab bench test).

I look forward to reading about more of your testing and experience...

--vtMaps
  • Uncle Dave
    Uncle Dave Registered Users Posts: 24
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I appreciate your review, thanks.

What do you mean by energy use profile?

Danfoss compressors run natively on 12 volts. I believe the 120 volt capability is just an add-on power supply to make 12 volts. Therefore, there must be some efficiency loss operating at 120 volts. On the other hand, it is possible to make a very very efficient power supply and if they did so, I doubt that you could see any difference in day to day use of the fridge (maybe you could see it on a lab bench test).

I look forward to reading about more of your testing and experience...

--vtMaps

Happy to attempt to provide valuable info.

Being a native 12 volt device that makes sense that the 120V mode incurs step down losses.

What I mean by "energy use profile" is that when on 12 volts it seems the unit seems to operate the compressor on a different schedule than when it is plugged in. It seems to run a little more frequently but for shorter times. Im using the word "seems" here because I usually measure things before I comment but the cycling seemed different to me between the 2 power sources.

Heres a series snapshots off the kilowatt after 44 hours.

2.5 watts in standby
    45.3 watts compressor running
    Power factor .30

At my rate about 21 dollars a year to run (in an 85 degree room during the day)