Complaints of glare from the neighbors

Options
Swordsman
Swordsman Registered Users Posts: 6
Two years ago I installed a 16 module system. Owner very happy with it and calls 5 months ago to purchase an expansion. Added 26 panels in mid April. Now a neighbor who lives uphill (probably 60' higher in elevation) is complaining of glare and wants me to do something about it. Tells me I have to change the angle of the modules.

I politely explained that changing the angle probably will result in the glare occurring at a different time of the year. In all likelihood the glare will diminish and go away in a couple of weeks or less and that it will return again the next time the sun passes through that latitude. Wasn't received well.

I'm trying to come to grips with this. I'm not even sure it's my problem.

Thoughts or comments?

Comments

• AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Complaints of glare from the neighbors

Depending on when in the day the glare is worst, along with when in the day the neighbor is least likely to be at home, it might be possible to adjust the panel angles so that the glare is most present when the neighbor is least present. Of course, such an adjustment might not be feasible, but it might be worth looking into.
  • Swordsman
    Swordsman Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options

They are retirees and home most of everyday.

As I've been contemplating this it has occurred to me that the PV system owner (my customer) has not contacted me. At this point I couldn't do anything if I wanted. I'd be trespassing if I climbed on the roof and started dinking with the modules.

I guess my first step should be to make contact with my customer.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

This is difficult... Even if you are not legally responsible today, it is possible your town/county may write up an ordinance to address this type of issues.

Other than adjusting the tilt, being they are above the property, it does not sound like you could add a screen in front of the panels to block the glare and still let the sun it the panels (all the while, not making the home ugly with the changes).

Manchester airport remains in dark over solar-panel glare solution

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130807/NEWS05/130809503
    MANCHESTER — Engineers have recommended that solar panels on top of a Manchester airport parking garage be repositioned toward the east — rather than the sun-drenched south — to prevent glare that has bothered air-traffic controllers, an airport official said.

The recommendation comes as the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport continues to drape tarps over some of the 2,200 solar panels on top of an airport parking garage. The drapes went up last August when controllers started complaining about early morning glare.

Since then, the airport, Federal Aviation Administration, controllers and others have been working with consultants to fix the problem, said J. Brian O'Neill, deputy airport director.

The $3.5 million solar panel installation, the largest in New Hampshire, was paid for with a federal grant and is designed to power the parking garage and sky bridge that lead to the airport terminal. In the summer, the airport sells excess electricity to Public Service of New Hampshire....

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options

Offer to tint the neighbor's windows for them. I'm sure that will help quite a bit and be rather inexpensive.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html