Best way to deal with long run from panels?

Plowman
Plowman Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a 100+ foot run from my panels to my RV. I'm currently running an extension cord from the cargo trailer I have my panels on. All components are in the cargo trailer (batts, CC, inverter, etc.).

It occurred to me that another way to do it would be to connect my panels (assuming 4 total) in series, giving me a rated ~75.6V, ~8.5 amps. Use MPPT controller and keep batteries and electronics in/near RV. Possible? Desirable?

I only have two 6V batteries, so my system needs to be 12V. It would be handy to have 12V in the RV, I'm currently running my fridge controller and water pumps on a separate battery.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Best way to deal with long run from panels?
    Plowman wrote: »
    It occurred to me that another way to do it would be to connect my panels (assuming 4 total) in series, giving me a rated ~75.6V, ~8.5 amps. Use MPPT controller and keep batteries and electronics in/near RV. Possible? Desirable?

That is the way to do it. You will want to use #10 wire for the 100 ft run. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Organic Farmer
    Organic Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭

I have been told that using cables like MC4 for a 100' stretch is okay.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    I have been told that using cables like MC4 for a 100' stretch is okay.

As long as they are #10 cables. You can get MC4 cables with all different size wires. #10 and #12 are most common.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • Organic Farmer
    Organic Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭
    jcheil wrote: »
    As long as they are #10 cables. You can get MC4 cables with all different size wires. #10 and #12 are most common.

Thank you. I did not realize that. I looked at some and they were 10awg, so I assumed that all MC4 was 10awg. Ooops.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

MC4 is the actual connector. Out here they are usually wired with 4mm2, although evidently you do see 6mm2 wire used as well. That wire is for pv interconnections. Its up to you what size wire you use for the home run, based on your voltage drop calculations.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar