Suggestions for 24v battery charger?

K4KMG
K4KMG Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭
4 T145's for 24v bank.
As I only use the solar/batteries on the weekends, the pv array should keep the batteries charged. Although, if there's an issue and I need to charge the batteries using one of my generators, what's a good cost effective charger? (getting tired of spending $$!) Generators are an eu2000 and eu3000. I have not purchased an inverter yet and was looking at the inverter/charger types but it seems I could do a little better cost wise by buying a standalone charger.

Ideas appreciated.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Suggestions for 24v battery charger?
    K4KMG wrote: »
    was looking at the inverter/charger types but it seems I could do a little better cost wise by buying a standalone charger.

When you see the prices of a standalone charger, the inverter/chargers will look much more reasonable. None of the standalone chargers have the features and programability of the inverter chargers. Have you looked at the samlex and xantrex truecharge2 chargers?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

The IOTA's are the cheapest and because you can adjust the output to be able to do a true Equalize when necessary. Buy the " Standard " and the plug in DLS module. If your not going to Float the batteries with it, you don't even need that.

Now if your going to buy a Premium Inverter / Charger that could be the way to go. There you get it all integrated into one package with lot's of control functions that a stripped down charger cannot offer.

http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries-meters-accessories/bach2/bach1/ioten25amp24.html
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Actually TBS from Holland is totally programmable but you need to buy their interface and , as VT said, the chargers are pricey...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • K4KMG

My Rogue 3048 should handle the charging stages including equalize. I was planning on the Prosine 1800 for an inverter which is about 1k. Decent standalone chargers are about 200-500. Inverter/Chargers are close to 2k. Would like the Inv/Chrg but having a hard time justifying the cost.
  • Blackcherry04
    My Rogue 3048 should handle the charging stages including equalize. I was planning on the Prosine 1800 for an inverter which is about 1k. Decent standalone chargers are about 200-500. Inverter/Chargers are close to 2k. Would like the Inv/Chrg but having a hard time justifying the cost.
    There you go, thats why most buy a IOTA. Smart chargers won't always work on a system that has other charging sources on the bank, they also see a inverter draw as a fault and will stop or refuse to charge. A 25 amp IOTA is $182 + shipping and is a bargain.

You can buy a Outback GFX 1424 for around $1,000 + a Mate for $185 or so and have a 35 amp charger and a 1,400 watt Inverter with Generator support and have it all and the best off grid Inverter / Charger made, it'll do 2,000 watts for 30 minutes. A Xantrex SW 2024 would be my next choice.
  • K4KMG
    There you go, thats why most buy a IOTA. Smart chargers won't always work on a system that has other charging sources on the bank, they also see a inverter draw as a fault and will stop or refuse to charge. A 25 amp IOTA is $182 + shipping and is a bargain.

Thanks. Sounds like a good plan to me!
  • K4KMG

Assuming a 50% SOC, how long would it take one of these to charge the bank? Would the 40a version at a little over 200 be a better choice?
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Would the 40a version at a little over 200 be a better choice?

Beware of the 40 amp 24 volt version... it's probably more than your eu2000 can handle. The Iota chargers all have very large inrush currents that can bog down a small generator. They also have a very low power factor which means that even if your eu2000 can start the Iota, it will take the entire capacity of the generator to run the 40 amp Iota. The Iota is a cheap, rugged charger and works very well with grid power. A number of folks have had trouble running it from a small generator such as the eu2000.

Read:http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?10123 The OP in that thread (SteveK) ended up with a Meanwell charger, but other forum members have had some different issues with that charger.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • K4KMG

Thanks. Main generator is the eu3000.
  • Blackcherry04
    Assuming a 50% SOC, how long would it take one of these to charge the bank? Would the 40a version at a little over 200 be a better choice?
    VT gave some good advice, that said My EU2000 will pulls a 75 amp @ 12 Volts with out issue. Since you have EU's it's not much about time as it is fuel consumption. Your better off pulling the generator at 700 watts on the EU 2000 or so, on the EU 3000 you could do the 40 amp easily. The T145 is 260 amp hrs, so 50% is going to be 130 amp hrs @ 24V . The question is, are you planning to charge them to 100% or bulk them up t0 85% and let your solar finish the charge ??

I do a setup on Boats with a EU 2000 and a IOTA 30 amp @ 12V and a 45 amp @ 12v. The 30 amp runs all the time and the 45 amp is on a relay with a A/C ( 5,000 btu ). It'll run for about 7 hrs on a tank and keep the batteries up and still have A/C all night
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

In the pacific, Powermaster is a taiwanese brand that is readily available. They make reliable reasonably priced chargers (and other gear), ive had one in our motorhome for years. Two stage, not adjustable but on genset you really only need to bulk and let solar fisnish it off.

See http://www.powermaster.com.tw/battery-chargers.htm
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• K4KMG

Just want to bulk and let solar finish. I get to my camp on Friday and if there is an issue I have time to bulk up before the rest of the weekend. Charger will probably be used very little, as no loads are involved Mon-Fri morning. PV should keep batteries charged, but nice to have the charger just in case.

vtmaps: great thread on the Meanwell. SteveK appears to really like his. Thanks
  • K4KMG

Another thought occurred to me. How do these chargers 'play' with the other components in the system? Inverter? (Prosine 1800) CC? (Rogue 3048) Will I have to disconnect those before running the charger?
  • Blackcherry04
    Another thought occurred to me. How do these chargers 'play' with the other components in the system? Inverter? (Prosine 1800) CC? (Rogue 3048) Will I have to disconnect those before running the charger?
    You shouldn't have a issue. The charging issues usually come up more in absorb where one can override the other.

MeanWell, means they meanwell , but it doesn't work well. I have a new one in the box that costs $389, I'll sell for $100 and shipping It's 60 amp @ 12 V. Totally useless on a Solar system.
  • K4KMG
    You can buy a Outback GFX 1424 for around $1,000 + a Mate for $185 or so and have a 35 amp charger and a 1,400 watt Inverter with Generator support and have it all and the best off grid Inverter / Charger made, it'll do 2,000 watts for 30 minutes. A Xantrex SW 2024 would be my next choice.

Looks like this would be the better choice. Currently about $1250 for both whereas the Prosine and charger would be around $1400+.

This whole solar thing is probably overkill for my needs, but somebody got me on this 'merry-go-round' and I can't seem to get off!
  • Blackcherry04
    Looks like this would be the better choice. Currently about $1250 for both whereas the Prosine and charger would be around $1400+.

This whole solar thing is probably overkill for my needs, but somebody got me on this 'merry-go-round' and I can't seem to get off!
    The GFX is a wonderful Inverter setup for a small system. It has all the bells and whistles the larger Outback Inverter / Chargers do, It is a grid interactive, but you just keep the sell off. You can choose Grid or Gen and have two different setups for two different generators on all the input settings. The generator Support is seamless. It's worth every penny and you don't have to buy a bunch of stuff that is " Not Exactly " you cobble together.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Call it the difference between men and boys....it's the size and price of the toys...

Solar is addicting, beware! But who are we to talk?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada