Trojan RE Batteries

Novaz
Novaz Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
Back from my Land Hunt found a nice parcel in the Northeast corner of WA state 40 acres and a creek

so my battery question is are the Trojan RE series of batteries worth the extra cost over the regular Trojan deep cycle batteries I am not concerned with the cost more are the RE better storage performance.
Thanks
Roy

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Trojan RE Batteries

What size battery bank are you looking at (voltage and AH rating)?

We have one poster here using the Trojan RE (Magnas) and he really like them. From 2012:
    Mangas wrote: »
    IMO the 64 L16 REBs' (renewable energy version) that replaced my older L16s' are better.

After two years, they are using significantly less water than the older version after the same period. Also, they seem to hold their voltages better. Of course, they cost more.

We'll see how they do over the long haul. So far, I'm happy with them.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Novaz

Hi Bill
    I have been researching a lot about 12v appliances for cabin use
    and will be staying with that voltage for my system
    cooking and heating will be wood burner and propane plus my Quiet Generator for Back up
    the size cabin i am planning is a 14*20 and will have 6*375 watt Kyrocera panels
    Thanks
    Roy
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Six 375 Watt panels? On a 12 Volt system? Why? It's not like 12 VDC appliances are efficient or cheap.

You'd have a 2250 Watt array. On 12 Volts that would be 144 Amps current requiring two 80 Amp MPPT charge controllers. You could feed a 1440 Amp hour battery bank with that. All this suggest to me either you've bought too much panel or you need to go to 24 Volt and use an inverter for everything.

I have 1000 Watts less than that on a 24 Volt system with the inverter running everything. It is much more economical than 12 Volt appliances and you can get them anywhere.

Same 2250 array on 24 Volts is 72 Amps: one 80 Amp MPPT controller. You just saved $500+ right there. 720 Amp hour battery bank is simpler than 1440 and has the same 8kW hour storage capacity. 24 Volt system is more efficient than 12 Volts.

Don't fall into the 12 Volt trap.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Assuming 375 Watt panels (making them that large) and a 5% to 13% rate of charge, with 10%+ being a nice healthy rate of charge for a full time off grid home:

6*375 Watt panels * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/0.10 rate of charge * 1/14.5 volts charging = 1,195 AH battery bank @ 12 volt

Personally, I think that is too large of battery bank for 12 volts (assuming I got all the numbers right). I would highly suggest a 24 volt or even possibly 48 volt battery bank and a 120 VAC power system for your appliances.

6*375 Watt panels * 0.52 AC system derating * 4 hours of sun per day minimum = 4,680 Watt*Hours per day

That is a good sized system (full size energy star refrigerator, laptop computer, well pump, washing machine, fans, etc.). 12 volts will be a real pain to wire up that much in the way of loads/charging sources.

-Bill "in my humble opinion" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Novaz wrote: »
    I have been researching a lot about 12v appliances for cabin use
    and will be staying with that voltage for my system
    cooking and heating will be wood burner and propane plus my Quiet Generator for Back up
    the size cabin i am planning is a 14*20 and will have 6*375 watt Kyrocera panels

Don't do 12 volt appliances, even if you do build a 12 volt system. You will get better selection and better prices with 120 volt AC appliances. Also, a 12 volt system has voltage varying between 11 and 15.5 volts depending on where you are in the charge/discharge cycle. Not all lights and appliances respond well to that. Then you get into the plugs & wall receptacles... cigarette lighter type plugs and receptacles are horrible, but you must have an alternative system that cannot be accidentally used with 120 volts. Where will you find light switches that are rated for DC?

As the others have mentioned, the size system you are planning is really not suitable for 12 volts anyway. Maybe it's time to start from the beginning and ask what are your loads? If your loads are small enough, perhaps a 12 volt system is appropriate... but then why so much solar panel for a small system?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Re the L16 REBs' I'm still very happy with them. Better battery than the old L16s'. Sturdy, forgiving and so far reliable going on their 5th year. Distilled water usage continues very low.

Are they worth the extra money over their cheaper cousins? I say yes.

I would revisit the solar hardware plan. Consider a 48 volt system. Many people underestimate how much power usage they will end up using as well as possibly expanding their system.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Mangas wrote: »
    Re the L16 REBs' I'm still very happy with them. Better battery than the old L16s'. Sturdy, forgiving and so far reliable going on their 5th year. Distilled water usage continues very low.

Are they worth the extra money over their cheaper cousins? I say yes.

I would revisit the solar hardware plan. Consider a 48 volt system. Many people underestimate how much power usage they will end up using as well as possibly expanding their system.
    this one http://www.trojanbattery.com/product/l16re-b/ ? :-)
  • Novaz

Ok Thank you for all the replies while researching
    I found the Trojan Battery sizing calculator and now things are a bunch clearer to me with regard to appliances i may use and the bank requirements
    also pricing the system is an eye opener.
    Thanks for you patience
    Roy
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Hi Novaz,
    I also have the Trojan L16 REB's. It's been 1.5 years and so far no prob. My 8 batts use about a liter of distilled H20 a month (typical bank temp is between 25 and 27 degrees C). I cycle from 70/60% SOC to 100/90% SOC daily.

When I did the math it seemed to make sense to pay slightly more for the REB's. My transportation and duties are expensive, so a longer lasting battery was an attractive idea. Check with me in a 6 years time to see if I still agree.:cool:

By the way, Trojan has stopped making the regular L16REB and only make the new 'L16 REB with Smart Carbon'. I read a few months ago that they don't advise mixing these 2 models in the same bank. So, all of us with the old REB's better keep our banks happy, right?

Perhaps someone out there with the new Smart Carbon REB's will comment on their experience.
    SP
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • Tigelowe
    Tigelowe Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭

On the mixing of original with 'Smart Carbon' batteries, I just spoke to Trojan support and they said no problem as long as all batteries in a string are the same type. I plan on doubling my battery storage by adding another string of 4 L16 REB's. I'll end up with one string of the old type and one of the new.