Forest Fire Season

Chris
Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭
Well it's started, It's forest fire season here in BC, Just curious what to expect for loss's do to forest fire smoke. The valley that we live in has been a little hazy the last few days, I haven't been to the lake to see what it's like, but assume it's the same.

So.....I know it's not cloud cover per say, but should I expect to see a large drop in power production wile we are on vacation next week?

I was seeing about 385-90 watts out of my 4X100 watt panels around noon last week

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Forest Fire Season

Well the weather network posts the UV danger rating, yesterday was Zero, today is up to 6 , yesterday was socked in , could not see town which is ~ 1/2 mile away in the valley bottom... today valley visible all day

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Choking on it here. Eyes have been burning for days.

Panel output has fallen off by about 25%, but curiously the smoke diffuses the available sunlight making the hours of charging longer. Unfortunately not enough to compensate for the reduction. Yesterday's over-all production was off about 8%.

I can only approximate due to having added panels this year just prior to the smoke incursion so I don't have any solid numbers for the new array. It's about 10% below estimated minimum output.

Wish it would rain. Before I have to join the crowd at the hospital standing in line for a pull on the oxygen tank.
  • Chris
    Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭

Wow.....sounds like we don't have it all that bad here, sitting on my deck having the morning coffee and I can still see the other side of the valley....just a little hazy.
    My eyes haven't been bothered by it what so ever.....I hope you guys do get some rain soon. Just keep it up there would ya, I start my vacation tonight LOL

Seen a few shots of Kamloops on the news last night, looked like you could hardly see your hand in front of your face, Yikes!
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Chris, the main fire is ~ 100 miles from here. There is a second smaller one about 15 miles North along the Fraser River, that is showering us with fine ash and adding to the smoke, pretty acrid on eyes and lungs, like 'Coot said O 2 in a tank for those with breathing issues. Supposed to rain a bit today, but just dark clouds so far, drat... temps down about 10 degrees C today:cool:

ADD: 08:58..... Hooray, Rain at last!

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada