Beginner book recommendation please

johnelarue
johnelarue Solar Expert Posts: 33
Can someone please give me some titles preferably for kindle etc. for. Small scale solar DIY off grid systems design, with wind and hydro a plus. Not looking for grid tie, modest 500w or so, not a complete newbie, but still beginner to lower intermediate understanding. thanks much!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Beginner book recommendation please

PNJunction recommended this Samulex installation manual for a good overall view:

Product Manual

Kyocera has a nice solar pumping manual:

http://file.seekpart.com/keywordpdf/2011/5/20/2011520204318948.pdf

PDFs, so you could download to Kindle--PDF seems to be kind of iffy--depending on model of Kindle.

Home Power Magazine (subscription, plus a few online "free articles":

https://www.homepower.com/subscribe-and-save?template=subscribe

What is it you are specifically looking for?

-Bill

PS: This post has a lot of books (mostly dead tree);

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?5556-Working-Thread-for-Solar-Beginner-Post-FAQ&p=54329#post54329
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • johnelarue
    BB. wrote: »

What is it you are specifically looking for?

-Bill

PS: This post has a lot of books (mostly dead tree);

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?5556-Working-Thread-for-Solar-Beginner-Post-FAQ&p=54329#post54329

Excellent, excellent, thank you BB!

Specifically I'm looking for wiring diagrams for small systems, how to arrange a control panel components, 12v btw.

John
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Do you have a specific brand/model of controller? Or some specific functions you want to accomplish?

Without details, it is hard to help.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

One of the reasons there aren't many good "how to do it" books on solar power systems is because every system is different and design needs to be tailored to the individual installation.

Another reason is because I haven't written one yet. :D
  • drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
    One of the reasons there aren't many good "how to do it" books on solar power systems is because every system is different and design needs to be tailored to the individual installation.

Another reason is because I haven't written one yet. :D
    In Medical College ,they use to say "Every Patient is different" :D
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

Energy Unlimited by Victron is a good introduction: http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Book-Energy-Unlimited-EN.pdf focussed on marine systems but 90% same for land based off-grid.
  • johnelarue
    stephendv wrote: »
    Energy Unlimited by Victron is a good introduction: http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Book-Energy-Unlimited-EN.pdf focussed on marine systems but 90% same for land based off-grid.

Thanks all for expanding my PDF library from one to many titles!
  • TucsonAZ
    TucsonAZ Solar Expert Posts: 139 ✭✭

Every time I see this title I want to respond and say "Is Your Mama A Llama?" is a really good beginner book (:
  • Mustang65
    Mustang65 Solar Expert Posts: 42 ✭✭

I have been a subscriber to HomePower Magazine for the past 5 years and it is a GREAT source of information for SOLAR, WIND, HYDRO. Most of the articles that go into detail on projects include a diagram like the one included. You can purchase a 3 year subscription for about $39 USD and they may include the CD that has ALL their previous issues from DAY 1.. It is interesting to see how the history of these energy producers have progressed through the years.
    Don
    Attachment not found.
  • johnelarue
    Mustang65 wrote: »
    I have been a subscriber to HomePower Magazine for the past 5 years and it is a GREAT source of information for SOLAR, WIND, HYDRO. Most of the articles that go into detail on projects include a diagram like the one included. You can purchase a 3 year subscription for about $39 USD and they may include the CD that has ALL their previous issues from DAY 1.. It is interesting to see how the history of these energy producers have progressed through the years.
    Don
    Attachment not found.

Thanks , I'm really thinking about subscribing
  • Mustang65
    Mustang65 Solar Expert Posts: 42 ✭✭

For those interested, here is the link for a FREE download of a HomePower issue

http://www.homepower.com/sample-issue

Don
  • kansas
    kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭

I'm new to the forum so answer your inquiry with some hesitation, but I have only one book and it has answered most of my basic design questions for a small off-grid system, although it also covers larger and grid-tied systems as well. The book is "Photovoltaics, Design and Installation Manual," by Solar Energy International, 2007. It is designed as an educational tool and so includes worksheets that walk the reader through just about very aspect of system design. For example, the stand-alone worksheets include the math to determine, in order, load estimation, battery sizing, array sizing, controller sizing and inverter sizing. There are also sun charts, solar data, separate chapters on basic concepts, inverters, controllers, batteries, wiring, installation, module mounting, maintenance, safety, etc. Very thorough and accessible. I recommend it. That said, there is a lot to know and certainly the other recommendations given here are resources I will take advantage of as well. Bill
    Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.
  • jimwu
    jimwu Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All ! I have been subscribe it for three years , after few months I cant download it anymore , in my acc is 0 , after email them for few times no respond at all , dame it they cheating me the money .
    I am really not happy with it , so don subscribe it .
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Mustang65 wrote: »
    Don

If you currently buy a three years subscription, they give you access to all their previous issues in PDF versions, since their very first issue (Oct / Nov '87). There are currently 162 issues of HomePower (electronic version) available for download. I lost track of how many years I have been a member of HomePower. It's been a long, long time, though. I never get tired of reading their magazines.
    Paul