Want to know what you fellas don't have to deal with in the West? LOL

Options
ILFE
ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
Installers in the West, I hope anyway, would not start the installation of your array by voiding the warranty of your panels. Here, the first thing they do after the panels are installed on your roof, is to cut the MC4 connectors off the panels, prior to wiring them into the array.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't learn this before I had my first panels installed here. This was about eight months ago. The reason, well, aside from the installers being absolute morons, is solar companies here do not bother purchasing MC4 extension cables for solar array installs. I was a fast learner, though.

From then on, every time I have purchased panels here, I have ALWAYS insisted that they give me two MC4 connectors per panel (after all, they certainly will have plenty of spares), along with my purchase. I then connect the MC4s to the extensions going to my controller (or combiner box).

Unfortunately, as I have already stated, here in Cambodia, the installers are not the sharpest tools in the shed. So, if you ever find yourself living in Southeast Asia and in need of a solar array to be installed, do make sure you secure those additional MC4 connectors. Oh, and take away their cable cutters before they go climbing on your roof. :D

As a side note, I have been considering becoming a dealer for various suppliers of alternative energy parts and accessories. At least I would make it a point to keep the correct accessories on hand, for those who desire a proper installation.
Paul

Comments

• drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Want to know what you fellas don't have to deal with in the West? LOL

what if Installer doesn't have any MC4 connector ? ;) That did happened with me, I had to buy those from another shop separately!!
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Want to know what you fellas don't have to deal with in the West? LOL
    drraptor wrote: »
    what if Installer doesn't have any MC4 connector ? ;) That did happened with me, I had to buy those from another shop separately!!

Can't say. I can say, though, that will never be an issue here. They always have spares, with pig tails on them, ready to be wired right in. :D
    Paul