The amperage number on the Trimetric does not confirm batteries are charging

Tom Cleary
Tom Cleary Solar Expert Posts: 37
Hello Everyone,

My apologies, as I am an amateur I do not know as much as I would like about the Trimetric 2025 device, although I have been impressed and intrigued by its capabilities. If you don't mind bearing with me I would like to ask a question. Today I hooked my system up for a test. My system consists of two flooded acid batteries, with a Blue sky charge controller powered by a 235 watt Kyocera panel, a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter, and of course, the Trimetric monitor.

The voltage jumped up when the solar panel was put into the system to charge the batteries. The voltage rose from 13.4 to 14.2 on the batteries. Amperage did not reflect the increased number one would expect with this voltage jump though, and remained unchanged.
It did not reflect charging amperage, however, for some reason it did show amperage drawdowns on the system. After putting a 150 watt light bulb load on the system, for example, the test showed amperage draw downs accurately.

My first thought was that the Blue Sky controller had failed, but with the voltage increase from 13.4 to 14.2 this seemed unlikely even if the amperage number on the Trimetric did not confirm the panel was charging the batteries. Is there something that would be helpful to check? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

Tom Cleary

P.s. Other components include:

a blue sky MMPT charge controller
a one thousand watt pure sine wave inverter
a Trimetric 2025-A

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: The amperage number on the Trimetric does not confirm batteries are charging
    Tom Cleary wrote: »
    The voltage jumped up when the solar panel was put into the system to charge the batteries. The voltage rose from 13.4 to 14.2 on the batteries. Amperage did not reflect the increased number one would expect with this voltage jump though, and remained unchanged.

If you were at 13.4 volts before turning on the controller, the battery was at a high SOC. If the battery is at a high SOC, it will not accept much charge. Try your experiment when the battery is at a lower SOC.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Tom Cleary
    Tom Cleary Solar Expert Posts: 37
    Re: The amperage number on the Trimetric does not confirm batteries are charging

Thank you, I will do that, let the battery draw down for awhile before trying again.