Finally ID'd My Solar Panel!

Lexicon7
Lexicon7 Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭
I can finally read the label under my solo panel on my TC:
It is a Seimans M55 and says it is a Monocrystaline panel.
Rating on the label is 55W at 3.45a..

What is the difference between Monocrystaline & Photovoltaic or is there one...?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: Finally ID'd My Solar Panel!

Photovoltaic means something when exposed to sun generates electric (photo-light; Voltaic-Voltaic cell=battery).

Mono-Crystalline cells are grown as a single silicon crystal. Is a bit more efficient on generating electricity per square foot/meter/etc.

Poly-Crystalline cells are cheaper to grow the silicon crystals. And slightly less efficient.

Poly Crystalline look like feathery/fractured cells.

Mono-Crystalline cells look uniformly "black" or very dark.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

What bill said.

There are three basic types of consumer PV panels, monocrystalline and polycrystalline and thin film (mainly amorphous silicon and hetero-junction). The crystalline processes are very mature today with little long term differences of the same quality manafucturing process and packaging in a moderate climate. I personally don't like thin film panels as they tended to be less efficent with questionable long term reliabily unless the production process is perfect.
  • Lexicon7

Thanks guys.. You know, I had a preconceived notion that my panel was inferior just because it was small but isn't Siemens a pretty reputable firm? Also, could not locate a direct match with M55 but Amazon has a SM55 I think it was that looks to be the same 36 cell confif & the price is $350.00!
    So sounds like all in all, I have a decent if not small charger up there! It is cranking out power for sure!
  • BB.

Maybe this one?

http://www.solarquest.com/microsolar/suppliers/siemens/sm55.pdf

Probably from around 1995:

http://www.homeenergy.org/show/article/id/1125/page/2

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

siemans made some good pvs for the time period. you may have trouble finding another exact pv seeing as how they stopped making these some time ago. if you wish to add more pvs for paralleling then match up the vmp voltage preferably within 5%, but no more than 10%. if putting a pv in series with it then try to match the imp within 5% and maximally within 10%.

also, being you know it is a monocrystalline pv then any pvs added should be the same type to keep specs tracking somewhat similarly.
  • BB.

$346/55 Watts = $6.29 per Watt + $40 shipping

Solartech SPM140P-S-N 12V
    $305.00
    $2.179 per watt + shipping

SolarWorld SW-245 Polycrystalline
    $251.62
    $1.027 + shipping

Power Up 65 Watt Multicrystalline 12 volt Solar Module

Availability: In Stock
    Item No: BSP65-12

$200.00

Lots of options out there that cost less... About the only reason to pay that much is because you want it to fit the space or are placing some in series for >> 12 volt battery bank application.

It all depends on what you are trying to do. Do several "paper designs" and see what gives you the best bang for the buck.

-Bill
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

those aren't mono panels.
    try something like this- http://www.altestore.com/store/Solar-Panels/Ameresco-BP450J-50W-12V-Solar-Panel-with-J-Box/p10188/

of course for that much $ just to match an older pv i'd opt to get some of the newer pvs with an mppt controller. newer pvs are about or under $1/w and the costs will probably over run due to the cc, but it would all be new with so much more power than what you'd get from a small 50ish watt pv would do for you. you can still use that old pv for your battery as well so you aren't wasting it.
  • Plowman
    Plowman Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexicon7 wrote: »

Crazy overpriced. You can get two 158W mono panels from Dmsolar for less than that (shipped). That's 316W vs. 55W. Dmsolar should be compatible with your panel if wired in parallel (the experts here can correct me if I'm wrong).

Specs of Dmsolar 158W panels:
    * Vmp: 18.9V
    * Imp: 8.47A
    * Voc: 22.7V
    * Isc: 8.76A

Specs of SM55:
    Maximum power rating Pmax 55
    Rated current IMPP [A] 3.15
    Rated voltage VMPP [V] 17.4
    Short circuit current ISC [A] 3.45
    Open circuit voltage VOC [V] 21.7

Even if they're not compatible, seems like you'd be better off getting two Dmsolars and using your little Siemens panel for a separate system (or just sell it).
  • BB.

Yes, you can put the panels (old and new) just fine... You will need to size the fuses/breakers per string for the different Isc/Series Fuse rating for the small vs larger current panels. (you should have a fuse/breaker per parallel connected panel when you have three or more panel strings in parallel, or mix 140 Watt and 55 Watt panels in parallel).

-Bill
  • Lexicon7

Daaam that's hell of a deal... Thanks! I'm impressed by the mono pv's.. I'm ordering that deal!