Adding A Second Solar Panel To My Lance TC!

Lexicon7
Lexicon7 Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭
Hi Guys, has anyone shopped at Sun Electronics?
Their prices seem very good but doing my best to make good choices here.
I would like to upgrade the system but for now I think my best choice would be
to try to match the existing panel so I just have the 2 small panels up there.
All I have at this point is a measurement of my panel so I must get the meter done soon.
I understand that physical size or config is not the issue but power output is!
Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Adding A Second Solar Panel To My Lance TC!

You have a couple of issues with adding panel(s).
    One is the charge controller: it may or may not be able to handle more current.
    Another is the wiring: it may or may not be able to handle more current.

If the system was set up to handle, say, 10 Amps and the existing panel puts out 3 then you add a 140 Watt panel that produces 7+ you could fry something.

If you can't find out every detail about what you've got now be prepared to scrap the lot and replace panel, wires, and controller in order to get that power up.
  • kellylipp
    kellylipp Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭

To put a little more detail into Cariboocoot reply, check the wiring from the panel to the charge controller. Ensure that it is at least #8. Get the specs off of the charge controller(CC). There is a some chance that there isn't even a CC on this small system. That is the panel is wired directly to the battery. In that case it is a start over. If there is a CC in place and it can handle another panel you will still need to verify the wiring between it and the batteries. The CC would be as close as possible to the batteries. Less than a couple of feet is ideal. The wiring in that case should be #4 or larger. You need to crawl all over the rig in any event to understand what you are going to need to do anyway.

As for Sun: I bought my original panels from them in the AZ store. Had good luck with them. If you can go directly to the source that's the least expensive way. DM Solar is running a special on their 12V panels. Quite good panels with a nice footprint and good price/watt. If you have room for them... And you just might by replacing the one you have and then just aft of the fridge vent.

You can check out my blog at cuernoverdesolar.wordpress.com for more words specifically geared toward RV installs...

Thanks,

Kelly
  • Cariboocoot
    kellylipp wrote: »
    To put a little more detail into Cariboocoot reply, check the wiring from the panel to the charge controller. Ensure that it is at least #8. Get the specs off of the charge controller(CC). There is a some chance that there isn't even a CC on this small system. That is the panel is wired directly to the battery. In that case it is a start over. If there is a CC in place and it can handle another panel you will still need to verify the wiring between it and the batteries. The CC would be as close as possible to the batteries. Less than a couple of feet is ideal. The wiring in that case should be #4 or larger. You need to crawl all over the rig in any event to understand what you are going to need to do anyway.

Kelly

8 AWG is pretty large wire to be running from an array to a controller: many controllers will not accept such large wire and most arrays don't crank out 50 Amps anyway. RV installs usually aren't long wiring either, so V-drop is not a major concern. If the array power potential is that high you should be increasing the Vmp and using an MPPT type controller.

4 AWG from controller to battery? Same issues: too large to fit in the terminals of most controllers and you won't be handling 100 Amps output; there's not one single charge controller that does that kind of current.
  • Lexicon7
    Lexicon7 Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all and to Kelly for providing the blog page. I will follow you..
    I'm puzzled as I uploaded pictures, one of which was a close up of the Meter I own and do not see the pics anywhere. I wonder what happened there...
  • Cariboocoot
    Lexicon7 wrote: »
    Thanks to all and to Kelly for providing the blog page. I will follow you..
    I'm puzzled as I uploaded pictures, one of which was a close up of the Meter I own and do not see the pics anywhere. I wonder what happened there...

I can see your pictures in the first post in this thread.

Your meter is an odd one, but it appears that the V followed by a straight line with three dots under it is DC whereas the V followed by the tilde (~) is AC (to the right or clockwise from 'OFF'). Beyond that is DC Amps (A with the line and dots). 1.5 Volt and 9 Volt battery check, diode check, and audible continuity check, then (coming 'up' from 6:00 position) Ohms and DC Volts.