Thank you!

couchsachraga
couchsachraga Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭
Last year I posted a few questions on here about upgrading my system, double checking sizing, discussing controllers, etc... and received a lot of help.

This year the system is functioning flawlessly (hopefully I haven't jinxed myself there;) ). Still a lot for me to learn, but it is SO nice having a properly balanced system (where even in the dead of winter the draw-down hasn't been more than 20% (80% of battery power left according to Trimetric meter).

So, in this time of great sunshine, thanks everyone!

For those curious, the system is as follows:
4 Solarworld 270 watt panels
Midnite Classic 200 controller
4 Trojan T1275 batteries (wired up such that each length is the same so one battery does not get drawn down more than the others (mostly), with water miser caps
small SureSine inverter for a few 110 loads (starting circuit for propane fired hot water heater mostly)
Rest of the place is all 12v (very soon to include a Sun Danzer chest refrigerator!)

On my own (with help from folks locally) I've added 2 racks of solar thermal that are used for heating in the winter and hot water in the summer. I put them at a fairly steep angle (70 degrees or so) both to help maximize winter gain (upstate NY) and reduce solar in the summer (do not want to overheat when I"m not there). I also put truck tarps that roll up over them - not solid, but with the angle and shading I've not had any steam back yet. Admittedly setting my heating circuit to come on if the water gets over 140 degrees has helped to, though I've noted that circulating pump doesn't come on much, so the angle and tarp / screening is doing most of the work).

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: Thank you!

Nice to hear that your system came together nicely and is working well for you.

You are not in the sunny southwest, but made the system work for you anyway. Sounds like you did not even use a generator very much (if at all).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • couchsachraga
    couchsachraga Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Re: Thank you!

Bill,

You are correct - zero generator usage for normally activities. I do end up firing it up for any ongoing construction though (batteries / inverter not really designed for 1hp or more electric motors).

SunDanzer arrived and is working great so far. Nice to finally have a decent sized fridge up there. My next projects will likely be retrofitting a few shop tools (grinder and drill press) to small (1/2 hp or less) electric motors. I'll still need a generator to run the radial arms or chop saw, but I'm OK with that.