Neutral wiring for an Off-grid back up system

Options
onthesolar
onthesolar Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
This for an existing home which has power from the grid. There is frequent power outages in my country hence need for a back up solution. Not all the loads in the house have access to back up power. For example a bedroom has 2 lights, one of which runs on utility only while the other runs on utility and back up source during a power outage. However the neutral on both these loads are tied together. I am getting a 250W x 12 panels installed with a Conext SW 4024 230 inverter installed. The installer has the utilities line and neutral connected to the inverters AC Input, however on the AC Output while the line from the inverter can be connected to the loads that need back up power he states the neutral from the inverter cannot be connected to the common neutral listed above. He insists all loads that need back up power have a neutral connected to them isolated from the utility neutral. He states if the neutral is not isolated phase shifting can occur and create problems. I am not sure if I understood his reasoning entirely hence need your help and ideas.

Isolating neutral for every load that needs back up would be a large undertaking. Thanks.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Neutral wiring for an Off-grid back up system

Welcome to the forum.

The normal way to do a battery-based inverter back-up is to have all essential loads wired to a subpanel which is powered by the inverter with built-in transfer switch. Loads run from utility when it is up, and instantly shift to inverter when the grid goes down.

Here where was use split-phase power the transfer for a 120 VAC line needs only to be the hot leg: neutral is tied to ground and has zero Voltage reference. As such it does not need to be switched in/out. If you are using a 240 VAC inverter both hot legs must be switched, but again the neutral is in common for both power sources.

You are on the European standard 230 VAC 50 Hz, which may or may not have one leg bonded to ground depending on exactly where you are. If the inverter is installed as described above there is no problem either way as it takes care of the source switching. If it is wired in some other fashion there may be a problem. This would include running output only to the main power panel and energizing it that way (some circuits only). Not sure how he's doing the transfer, but I have my doubts that it is being done correctly. For one thing if the grid is down it is down and the only phase is coming from the inverter. Having extra 'dead' wire attached to one side will do nothing; it's not as if the grid will be trying to push to the Conext's output because the grid is down.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only real problem with not switching the neutral will be if your backup system contains a bond between its neutral and a mandatory earth ground for safety.
    If that is the case, that extra ground to neutral connection, beyond the one which should be in place at your main panel, will violate the electrical code and will very certainly cause problems with a GFCI circuit breaker in your backup system if it has one.

A system which has no connection, direct or indirect, between its current carrying wires and those of your main service is called a Separately Derived System. If you have an SDS, you do not need to switch the neutral. If you have a non-SDS, then your transfer switch must also switch the neutral.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • onthesolar
    Options

Thanks Cariboocoot and inetdog. I am trying to understand your inputs, can the below scenario create an issue

1) Load X connected to utility power and neutral
    2) Load Y connected to inverter power and neutral
    3) Inverter connected to utility and solar for battery charging
    4) Load X and Y neutral tied in common to both utility and inverter neutrals
    5) Utility power is available for Load X and inverter power is available for Load Y

Since X and Y have a neutral tied to both utility and inverter, will that create a problem in the system
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Yes, but that is not a "back-up" system as it assumes both utility and inverter will be supplying power at the same time.

Normally we would see this:

UTILITY ----> INVERTER ----> CRITICAL LOADS

When the utility is supplying power it runs the critical (as well as other) loads and the inverter functions in charger mode keeping the batteries up. When the utility fails the critical loads are powered by the inverter. Never are the two power sources running together.

It sound as though the wiring is being arranged as:

UTILITY ----> SOME LOADS
    NEUTRAL SHARED
    INVERTER ----> SOME LOADS

And that is where you could have problems with the two power sources interacting.

Keep in mind there is a simple inverter choice solution: a hybrid such as the XW. It will synch with the utility so there are no phase issues, supply essential loads when the grid goes down, and can even back-feed (if allowed; feature can be shut off if not) the grid if surplus power is available from the solar panels. This is the North American version of the XW 'cousin' to your SW: http://www.solar-electric.com/xaxwhyin.html Another choice would be the Outback Radian and I'm sure Victron has similar units (not sold here in Canada so I don't have any info on them).
  • onthesolar
    Options

Thanks, I see you said Yes this will be a problem. I like your way of representation, so let me list how the current setup is

UTILITY LINE ----> SOME LOADS
    UTILITY NEUTRAL
    > INVERTER NEUTRAL
    > SHARED
    UTILITY LINE ----> INVERTER LINE ----> CRITICAL LOADS

Does the issue exists with this configuration as well?

The location is in India. I am stuck with the SW4024 so I need to figure how to work with this unit.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

It comes down to a question which can only be answered by someone at the installation site: will the inverter and utility be expected to power loads at the same time?

Normally this would not be the case as any critical loads on the inverter would 'pass through' whenever the grid is up and be powered by the utility. AC hot and neutral connections to the inverter and subsequent loads are handled by the inverter's built-in transfer switch.

Otherwise if the AC IN to the inverter is never interrupted separately from the grid going down it also would not be a problem. The whole issue is one of having shared neutral while both power sources are active. If it is wired properly this does not occur.

I have doubts about the level of knowledge of your installer.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ... AC hot and neutral connections to the inverter and subsequent loads are handled by the inverter's built-in transfer switch.
    And there is the common problem: Most transfer switches sold for use with generators (not necessarily the transfer switches built into hybrid inverters) only transfer the two hot leads (for 120/240) or the three hot leads for three phase. They do not switch the neutral wire.

If you do not switch the neutral and if both mains and backup have a ground to neutral bond at their source, then by not switching the neutral you will be causing some current to flow through the ground instead of the neutral, violating the NEC, messing up the operation of some GFCI breakers, and in the worst case potentially causing voltage to be present on the grounded surfaces.

You can get transfer switches that also switch the neutral, they just cost more. AND those had better be designed to interrupt the hot leads first, then transfer the neutral, then reconnect the hot leads to the other source. Otherwise you could end up putting 240 volts across some 120 volt loads.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    If you do not switch the neutral and if both mains and backup have a ground to neutral bond at their source, then by not switching the neutral you will be causing some current to flow through the ground instead of the neutral, violating the NEC, messing up the operation of some GFCI breakers, and in the worst case potentially causing voltage to be present on the grounded surfaces.

This depends on the inverter used: not all have a built-in N-G bond or GFCI outlet (in fact most hard-wired ones won't have either). A 120 VAC inverter like an FX will switch only the hot because that's all that needs doing; ground and neutral are in common for AC IN and AC OUT, the N-G bond is expected to be external as is any GFCI protection (on a per branch basis). The Conext SW will be like this.
  • onthesolar
    Options

The inverter and utility not be expected to power critical loads at the same time. The non-critical loads will be powered by only the utility all the time.

Utility HOT to Inverter AC IN
    Utility Neutral to Inverter AC IN
    Inverter HOT from AC OUT to Critical Load
    Inverter Neutral from AC OUT to Critical Load

Utility HOT to Non-Critical Load
    Inverter Neutral from AC OUT to Non-Critical Load
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    onthesolar wrote: »
    The inverter and utility not be expected to power critical loads at the same time. The non-critical loads will be powered by only the utility all the time.

The wording is very important. It's not whether you expect to power a load from both sources at any given time (which will not work) but whether you expect to power any loads from both sources at any given time (some loads from inverter, some from utility). Note that having loads pass through the inverter is not the same as being powered by it: when grid is up and connected to AC IN on the inverter it will power any loads on AC OUT; the inverter is in charge mode then and not powering anything.

Where you get into trouble is if the utility is powering some loads and the inverter is actually powering some loads (no AC present on its AC IN) and these loads share neutral. It's like trying to series stack two inverters that aren't synchronized: both power waveforms share one common carrier (the neutral line) and can interfere with one another.
  • onthesolar
    Options

Cariboocoot your interpretation is correct the inverter works as a pass through when utility is available. Your comment "It's like trying to series stack two inverters that aren't synchronized" concerns me. Here is what I am observing

1) The warning light is blinking 24/7 and I am still waiting for the SCP to be connected to read out the error message
    2) The the fan on the inverter is running 24/7 and that seems odd to me
    3) The inverter AC IN/Charging light trips at least twice or thrice a day even when utility power is available.

I will see how I can isolate the synchronization problem, meanwhile I would appreciate if you can help me on these 3 items above, is this normal behavior.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Disclaimer: I tried to avoid all Xantrex/Schneider/Conext inverters and charge controllers due to the large number of problems reported with them, especially the XW inverters. As such I am not the best person to ask about them.
    onthesolar wrote: »
    1) The warning light is blinking 24/7 and I am still waiting for the SCP to be connected to read out the error message
    2) The the fan on the inverter is running 24/7 and that seems odd to me
    3) The inverter AC IN/Charging light trips at least twice or thrice a day even when utility power is available.

I will see how I can isolate the synchronization problem, meanwhile I would appreciate if you can help me on these 3 items above, is this normal behavior.

No, these conditions are not normal. No warning light should blink on any brand of any type of equipment. The fan should be thermostatically controlled and only come on as-needed. The AC IN 'light trips'? Or do you mean a warning light comes on for it? Or the breaker trips? Again; not normal.

Synchronization should not be an issue with the inverter set up as a pass-through as the two power sources (grid & inverter) are never supplying power to any loads at the same time (providing it is wired correctly). If you disconnect the grid from AC IN you could have a problem with the grid still active as some loads would then be supplied from the inverter and some from the grid with the neutral shared. I have this dread sense of this occurring with someone else's new SW (I'll try to find that thread).

Without the SCP you're pretty much in the dark about diagnosis.
    The fan being on all the time either means the inverter is heating up like crazy or the thermal control is defective.
    Not sure exactly what #3 is so I can't begin to address it.

Try disconnecting the neutral input to the SW and see what happens. The inverter should look at this as "no power" and drop the hot, thus powering the loads from the battery. If there is no neutral-neutral connection on the output this will not result in a phase synchronization problem: output from the SW should be totally isolated from other circuits in the house.

It sounds as though there may be some faulty wiring in the house, possibly 'switched sides' between what is neutral and what is hot. That sort of thing could really stress the inverter even in charge mode, possibly causing a lot of heat that keeps the fan running while faulting the charge stage. (What it would be is current on the neutral line through the inverter caused by cross-over wiring, overheating and effective reducing the operation of the charger - it would see < normal Voltage.)
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

This is the thread I was thinking of, although you may not find it helpful. Similar problem.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?21344-Fried-conext-sw4024&highlight=conext+SW
  • onthesolar
    Options

Here is my update

Got the SCP installed the past weekend. The warning light was because Gen Support was enabled once that was disabled, the warning light is out. I have the charger settings to default as well which is set to "Flooded". The fan no longer is running 24/7 and is off most of the day. However in the night around 9 PM, when there is lot of air-conditioning load (my best guess) on the grid the voltage fluctuates and AC in is closer to 200, the system goes to invert mode and stays in that state most of the night. I have the AC in range from 170 to 270 volts so not sure why the system switches to invert mode. Is there a setting that can force the system to invert mode based on time?