cotek ST1500-124 thoughts

boomadge
boomadge Solar Expert Posts: 25 ✭✭
I have spent many months putting together a system for my weekend cabin. The last piece I need to purchase is the 24 volt inverter.
This cotek ST1500-124 seems to have what I am looking for. Any opinions on this unit before I make the purchase?

Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: cotek ST1500-124 thoughts

Does this look familiar: http://www.solar-electric.com/samlex-pure-sine-wave-inverter-pst-1500-24.html

Cotek and Samlex are the same unit sold under different names. The ST is a perfectly good low-end inverter. They don't have good surge load ability however, so avoid using them for motors.

From the same company: http://www.solar-electric.com/sa2wa24vosiw.html More money but more ability.
  • boomadge

From what I have found samlex, thor, go power, are cotek internals. This is the actual unit I was looking into http://invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=434&cPath=84&gclid=CMn2v5PKqbwCFcERMwod8XcAlw
  • Cariboocoot
    boomadge wrote: »
    From what I have found samlex, thor, go power, are cotek internals. This is the actual unit I was looking into http://invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=434&cPath=84&gclid=CMn2v5PKqbwCFcERMwod8XcAlw

That is more like the Samlex SA series than the PST series from what I see. (They make a lot of models and change them rather often.)

Again the only caution is with motors. Even the SA version says the surge rating is <3 seconds at power factor of 1, which means for starting an AC induction motor (low power factor) it essentially has no surge capacity. That should be taken into account if you have any such usage planned.
  • boomadge

Only need to run a vacuum cleaner surge 300watts 12 amps (Continuous 40watts at 1.6 amps) occasionally, mini fridge 80 watts surge 3amps (continuous 50 watts 2.2 amps) weekend only. Gen backup would be used for power tools/iota backup charger via the transfer switch. Maybe for some odd reason an occasional high load but gen set was put into design for that.

My biggest fear is spending money on an inverter that does not perform as its advertised, or even worse goes up in flames when I am not there.
  • Cariboocoot

Uh, 12 Amps @ 120 Volts is 1440 Watts, not 300. Likewise 3 Amps @ 120 Volts is 360 Watts not 80. If you tried to measure the surge with a K-A-W I have to tell you they don't sample fast enough to take an accurate reading of this.

The Cotek/Samlex inverters are UL listed and therefor as safe as any other. You are more likely to have a fire resulting from a mistake in wiring or fuse sizing. In fact you're more likely to have a fire from an overloaded extension cord.
  • boomadge

Yup sorry bad info given, I used a P3 Kill A Watt Electricity Load Meter vacuum goes to 300watts (2.5 Amps) and fridge at startup goes to 80watts (.67 Amps) then backs down to 50 watts (.42 Amps). The mini fridge cycles approx. 4 times every hour.

Thanks for your input, I didn't think deciding on an inverter would be this difficult.
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭

I bought a cotek 24v 1500 watt inverter off of ebay as a backup. I now use it full time and the other is for backup. Sorry i can not tell you the model number. Probably by it tomorrow if you are interested. It runs my well pump. A 1hp 120v truper sumersible. It is about 300 feet from the inverter with 10 gauge cable. I was happy and suprised it worked. Thing to note is well pump is only a few feet under water level, and does not have a check valve in line. Letting the water bleed out lets pump start up with very little load on it. Not sure it makes a difference. Water is only pumped up about 40ft to a holding tank.

My inverter has duplex outlet and not hardwired terminal.
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

I have a go power 1500w 24v inverter since Sep 2008 and has given me years of good service and it still works up to now. It has been retired to back-up duty, but at one point was running my entire house 24/7 for about 2.5years with no issues. I believe the go power is identical to the samlex and maybe the cotek. I realise that the upper limit of voltage of the inverter you are looking at is rather low at 30v so you should be carefully while equalising it as it may shut down. The go power i bought was around the same price back then as well ($600).

Cheers...
    Damani
  • unyalli
    unyalli Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭

I've had a PST 300 for a few years now and find it flawless although it is a small one. The reason to do a UL rated PST over an SA is high voltage cutout. If your using temp compensation and your batteries don't get cold it does not matter. If the batteries get cold the charger will go over 15 volts (12 volt system) and the SA will shut off. The PST allow up to 16.5 (12 volt system).
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

I have (had) the Samlex SA-1500-124 version and its a great inverter. It would even start a washing machine 50% of the time. LOL. Very efficient with a 0.6Amp idle draw. The fans are temperature controlled and did not come on often., but are noisy.

Here is a video of me throwing the washing machine and fridge @ it like a madman!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V8dpOIre3A

It has since been replaced with a Schneider Conext SW.

I am going to use the Samlex at my mom's house .. EXCELLENT INVERTER! Just understand it has power and surge limitations as said above.
  • TucsonAZ
    TucsonAZ Solar Expert Posts: 139 ✭✭

I just bought the same inverter from ABC in Minnesota for $220 shipped (brand new), it's really hard to beat for that price and allows me time to be on the lookout for something else when a deal I can't say no to comes along which will allow this to be used as a backup. I did a lot of looking around and felt this was a really amazing value for the money, ABC was also really wonderful to deal with.
  • elesaver
    elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
    TucsonAZ wrote: »
    I just bought the same inverter from ABC in Minnesota for $220 shipped (brand new), it's really hard to beat for that price and allows me time to be on the lookout for something else when a deal I can't say no to comes along which will allow this to be used as a backup. I did a lot of looking around and felt this was a really amazing value for the money, ABC was also really wonderful to deal with.

Wow. That sounds great. Would you be able to give more info...website or phone number info? I'd like to check that out.
    1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

• TucsonAZ
    elesaver wrote: »
    Wow. That sounds great. Would you be able to give more info...website or phone number info? I'd like to check that out.

612-332-2378

If you Google the number you will get all of their info, I dealt with Sara, she was friendly and easy to deal with.

Edited to let you know I got mine today, haven't had a chance to test it yet but I'm pleased with the packing, shipping time and quality of service.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

pretty hokey to me. looked it up and there's nothing there to view as it breaks off into links for other searches and websites.
  • TucsonAZ
    niel wrote: »
    pretty hokey to me. looked it up and there's nothing there to view as it breaks off into links for other searches and websites.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hokey", it lists their business name and address with google reviews and has links to all the sites that list them as a business such as "Whitepages", "Google", "Ziplocal", and all the other well known web business catalogers, they have excellent eBay feedback as well as on Amazon. Wait a second, I think I recognize your avatar, weren't you the same one that thought Rogue Power Tech seemed hokey also? I think I recall you telling somebody that you would avoid them even though you had zero experience with them or their charge controllers, I could be wrong though. I think you sir may just have a touch of pessimist in you (: Give the little local guys a chance geeeez...
  • Cariboocoot

Well I looked and couldn't find a company-specific site, just a lot of references to the place and descriptions which indicate they mainly deal in used and surplus goods. Caveat emptor.
  • niel

if i was prejudging them it was because it is not showing up as most other businesses do with a website as i was interested in seeing what they had to offer. rogue more than proved me wrong and i admitted it. i did not say abc is bad, but it isn't really there like a normal business is to check out what they have. can you show us more than what we've seen in our search?
  • TucsonAZ
    if i was prejudging them it was because it is not showing up as most other businesses do with a website as i was interested in seeing what they had to offer. rogue more than proved me wrong and i admitted it. i did not say abc is bad, but it isn't really there like a normal business is to check out what they have. can you show us more than what we've seen in our search?

I could show you more and would even offer a personal tour if I lived local to them, to me they seem like a normal American business/store, you walk in, pay them for an item your interested in and you leave with it. I have a local beekeeper I buy honey from that works the same way, best honey you could ever imagine getting, simple to work with, give him cash, you get honey. The same goes for my Doctor, I just Googled his phone number and got similar results to ABC and he's one of the most regarded MDs in Tucson. ABC seemed no different to me so I'm not really sure what the confusion is or what about them seems "hokey". If you call they answer, if you walk in the store you browse/buy, is there something I'm missing about this? I'm not sure what else could be desired in a business honestly beyond friendly and professional.
  • niel

ok let me ask you this, how did you find out about them and to know what all they have and at what prices?
  • TucsonAZ
    ok let me ask you this, how did you find out about them and to know what all they have and at what prices?

Google, just like the search showed with their number, somebody else had made reference to buying a Cotek at a good price on eBay so after some creative searching I found their number, gave them a call, had them send me a Paypal invoice and bam, done deal score one for, well, you get what I'm saying.

As a rule do you find yourself to be a skeptic or mistrusting? I'm asking because I find this entire line of concern about a brick and mortar building business in a major city listed in the white pages kind of strange. What beyond applying for a business license, renting a building, getting past all the permiting and so on does a company need to do to not be "hokey"? I'm questing if I'm just not cautious enough or something that you're concerned and I'm not.
  • Cariboocoot

FWIW my own recent buying experience included 'real' stores you could call up and/or walk in to. Some had 'good web presence' and some did not. One of the 'real' stores you could call and walk in to was, when you got down to the business dealings, as shady as a big Elm. Made me question the legitimacy of the place.

In general these days a store with a good web presence is sticking its neck out. The site may not be professional which may turn people off even though the business is top-notch. Some operations choose to remain local-only and avoid web presence, possibly because of this factor. Unfortunately these days even a local-only business without a web site tends to lose business as the 'Net is the first place people look, and the first look they want is straight from the horse's mouth. Then they will look for reviews (on line) if they feel they are on to a good thing.

Niel felt the web presence of ABC was scanty and not encouraging. So do I. Based on that neither of us would be likely to pursue them as a source of product (even if I was in the US). When you have a lot of years experience and a small budget to work from you tend to be cautious; history shows it is the best approach.
  • niel

the better businesses can usually afford a website that deals with what products they have. to stay a brick and mortar store is fine by me, but they won't get much business that way as a very local market would be limited for this type of product. they still could be a good place, but it is hokey to me that i can't very readily see what's there. for them to offer inverters real cheap and still be brick and mortar does make me skeptical. being skeptical is a good thing when dealing with aspects of solar with the number of ripoff artists out there and no i'm not accusing you or abc of anything either. i think i'll stick more with the more widely known outfits than chance these people that i can't even view available products without being shuffled to who knows where? if they are going to succeed they will need a good online site no matter their deals and honesty.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    to stay a brick and mortar store is fine by me, but they won't get much business that way as a very local market would be limited for this type of product.
    <snip>
    if they are going to succeed they will need a good online site no matter their deals and honesty.

I go out of my way to buy things from local brick & mortar stores that do not have web sites. Their prices are often just a bit higher than the large web stores, but they offer some value.

Web stores have a reputation that you can research on the web. Local stores have just their local reputation. Example... I purchased my honda generator locally from an authorized dealer. I paid about $50 more than the best internet price. They filled the oil tank and the gas tank and tested it. It came with no chance of shipping damage.... no chance of needing to ship it back. If it needs service they will bend over to help me out, with a loaner if need be.

I can certainly see why they won't get your business if you want a generator... and you can be sure I won't ever be buying a generator from a local store in Pittsburgh, no matter how good their reputation is.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • TucsonAZ
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I go out of my way to buy things from local brick & mortar stores that do not have web sites. Their prices are often just a bit higher than the large web stores, but they offer some value.

Web stores have a reputation that you can research on the web. Local stores have just their local reputation. Example... I purchased my honda generator locally from an authorized dealer. I paid about $50 more than the best internet price. They filled the oil tank and the gas tank and tested it. It came with no chance of shipping damage.... no chance of needing to ship it back. If it needs service they will bend over to help me out, with a loaner if need be.

I can certainly see why they won't get your business if you want a generator... and you can be sure I won't ever be buying a generator from a local store in Pittsburgh, no matter how good their reputation is.

--vtMaps

I'm with you 100%, as the founder of a community outreach program I've found the lack of loyalty to local business to be a huge, huge issue with why the economy and sense or community is so degraded these days, people have no concern for anything but their bottom line and what's good for them. I'm not attempting to make this political or tell anybody else what's right or wrong but I will always source local if possible, the web is just to research what it is I want to buy, local is the place to buy it when possible. My next choice is to support companies that stay local like Rogue, Tesoro, and so on. I have seen so many amazing local companies go out of business because of the above mentality that it breaks my heart, the pet trade took a huge hit here about 10 years ago and all went under with the exception of one or two that filled a niche.

I'm super happy that NAWS and Tesoro (metal detectors) were both local to Arizona, I would gladly give them my money even if they were to cost a touch more.

Also remember, some businesses simply do so well they have no need to look any further for business, not having a website doesn't doom your business when you're in an area that has some sense of loyalty to the local economy. I was raised in the midwest, hard to get more loyal than MN folk.
  • niel

nice try guys as i'm not anti-business and the place is hardly a local business to me. even naws would tell you you are wrong in how much the websites help a business succeed and is indicative of a good business in the renewables area, but naws is more successful due to the forum. i doubt that had they not done all of this that they would be as successful if even still in business as solar related business is tough. this stuff isn't the same as supporting your local hardware store. if they were close to me i'd certainly stop in to look over what they have to offer as i am in the market for some stuff. i can't do that from pittsburgh and they have no website so they lose.
  • TucsonAZ
    nice try guys as i'm not anti-business and the place is hardly a local business to me. even naws would tell you you are wrong in how much the websites help a business succeed and is indicative of a good business in the renewables area, but naws is more successful due to the forum. i doubt that had they not done all of this that they would be as successful if even still in business as solar related business is tough. this stuff isn't the same as supporting your local hardware store. if they were close to me i'd certainly stop in to look over what they have to offer as i am in the market for some stuff. i can't do that from pittsburgh and they have no website so they lose.

And there we have the salient issue, we're measuring "success" of a business in completely different ways. By your measure, Blockbuster video was more successful than ABC Electronics. I however wasn't measuring success in web traffic or sale volume so it sounds like in this case, we're both doing business with the types of people we want to support whether that be ourselves, local economy or whatever. On the flip side though, I see your model as the very reason Blockbuster failed, there simply is zero customer loyalty at that level and they will flee as quickly as you can accomplish 15 Google keystrokes.

I'm happy I supported ABC and got somebody else in touch with them and for you it may be worth the extra $200 to be able to login to a website, something that offers me zero comfort or value.
  • niel

keep trying as renting videos is a totally different animal than buying inverters.
  • Cariboocoot

'Tis better to have no 'Net presence at all, than a dicey one.

And I think this horse has been flogged enough.
This discussion has been closed.