LED lights overheating and flickering, what's the best solution?

Options
samppa
samppa Registered Users Posts: 20
So it seems the load output from my cheapish pwm solar controller isn't very well regulated.. after some measurements, the voltage is pretty much the same as the battery voltage.

my led bulbs start flickering after a while, I'm thinking this is because of slight overvoltage.

So what's my best option here? Voltage stabilizer such as this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Stabilizer-I-P-8-40V-Regulate-to-12V-10A-120W-/160661910224?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item25683232d0

or something else? Or a pwm controller that has better regulation of load?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: LED lights overheating and flickering, what's the best solution?

No LOAD terminals are Voltage regulated. Says so in the manual. They supply battery Voltage, whatever that is.
  • Chris
    Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Options

What style of bulb did you get? I got some off ebay that were supposedly for "RV use", but when the batteries went over 12 volts they would start to smoke and melt.
    My new bulbs are rated for up to 30 volts (of course they are 12X the price) but after picking up a few a week for a wile now, I changed all 36 in my rig.
  • samppa
    samppa Registered Users Posts: 20
    Options

Checked.. seems these are rated for exactly 12v. E27, 4w warm white bulbs.
    So I ordered that stabilizer. Wasn't expensive, and if I go to a 24v system in the future, I can still use that for 12v circuit.