Looking for Timer

packrat
packrat Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
I have a 300' deep well that produces 1gpm. I have a Grundfos 11SQF2 running on 220 volts AC pump in it. I am looking for a timer of sorts that will let the pump run for a time then shut off to let the well recover and then run thru the cycle again automatically. I am trying to keep the water level fairly high
so I don't get sediment drifting in from lower levels. Static water level is about 25'. I am pumping into an above ground tank.
Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Looking for Timer

Any programmable timer module to use with a contactor (big relay) will do the job.
    There is a commercial product called, I believe, WellMaster which does the job, setting both on time and recovery time and also integrating with pressure switch, but costs big bucks.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Most pumps have a remote on/off switch (water tank level or pressure sensor) interface (or interface module)... Perhaps you can use that with a small(er) relay too.

Our host has a flexible AC/DC timer:

Flexcharge Realtime Programmable Timer

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭

The last SQF I installed had a built-in water level sensor you had to wire in. There should also be an interface box that will accept a level sensor, but you'll probably have to pull the pump to install it.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The last SQF I installed had a built-in water level sensor you had to wire in. There should also be an interface box that will accept a level sensor, but you'll probably have to pull the pump to install it.

I remember a customer that just learned the water curve of his well by observing the time when the water stared picking up sediment and used a pool timer to shut down an hour before. Not as good of a solution as having a level sensor but easier than pulling the pump from 600 feet. Quite a few bad wells up here in the Sierra with all the snow long gone. Everyone is digging deeper....
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• inetdog
    I remember a customer that just learned the water curve of his well by observing the time when the water stared picking up sediment and used a pool timer to shut down an hour before. Not as good of a solution as having a level sensor but easier than pulling the pump from 600 feet. Quite a few bad wells up here in the Sierra with all the snow long gone. Everyone is digging deeper....

You can also use a simple float or contact switch on a long wire to sense the water level in the well while you are determining the recharge rate of the well initially.
    The general method is to throttle the pump until the water level stays at the same height at some predetermined depth and then measure the flow rate from the throttle valve.

You can also do a good estimate of the storage volume of the well by just determining the length of 4" casing between the standing water level and the pump level. That number will be approximately the storage capacity in gallons of the well casing. To correct for other size casings, use the ratio of the area to that of a 4' circle.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

But not easily done on a 600 foot deep well that has changed characteristics due to drought, snow pack or ?.
    inetdog wrote: »
    You can also use a simple float or contact switch on a long wire to sense the water level in the well while you are determining the recharge rate of the well initially.
    The general method is to throttle the pump until the water level stays at the same height at some predetermined depth and then measure the flow rate from the throttle valve.

You can also do a good estimate of the storage volume of the well by just determining the length of 4" casing between the standing water level and the pump level. That number will be approximately the storage capacity in gallons of the well casing. To correct for other size casings, use the ratio of the area to that of a 4' circle.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• inetdog
    But not easily done on a 600 foot deep well that has changed characteristics due to drought, snow pack or ?.

Ah yes, wells that change!
    The only long term solution would be a level sensor some distance above the pump. A fixed timer would not do the job either. :(
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭

Lorentz has a separate sensor (low water probe) for their pumps that can be placed at any level, however I've never used one with a Grundfos pump. I would think it could be done tho.