corrosion on battery cables

Options
baja1
baja1 Registered Users Posts: 13
question, I have a battery bank of 4 6volt L16's, our system is sized perfectly for our needs. we leave the system completely powered down when we are gone for up to two months at a time. the cabling is all 1'0# we had made up at a battery shop. upon arrival there's always 3 or 4 ends that are covered in blue fuzz, the rest being clean. a solution of vinegar and baking soda does a good job of cleaning em up. last trip when I left I removed ALL the cabling and just left them laying on top of the batteries, STILL had blue fuzz on a few ends! slathering the ends with dialectic grease didn't help. do I have a few cables gone bad??? thanks guys!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: corrosion on battery cables

Sounds like the electrolyte has gotten into the find wire strands... I use any sort of battery anti-corrosion gel/paint/etc. from the local auto parts store and have pretty good luck.

Try getting any sort of liquid stuff down in the copper wires themselves and neutralize the acid.

Next time, there is heat shrink tubing with hot metal glue in it... Try putting that over the metal crimp and up the insulation a little bit--And see if that does a better job of sealing (plus the anti-corrosion stuff).

Suggestion (don't know anything about website or product)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset