Tracer-2215RN MPPT charge controller specs.

Options
nubby
nubby Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi guys. I bought a Tracer 2215RN MPPT charge controller and I think I might've been confused about the specs when I bought it. What is the maximum total input wattage this charge controller can take? The spec says 24V/520W but is that for one panel or is that the whole array? Before I made the purchase, I was deciding between the 2210RN and 2215RN. I went with the 2215RN because it supports up to 150VDC. At the time, I was thinking 150VDC/4 panels = 37.5 volts each, which would allow me to put in 4 245w panels @ 30v/8amp. If 24V/520W is max for array, I don't see the point of getting 2215RN instead of 2210RN since I'd only need 2 panels to be near the 520W max.

Specification:
Model No Tracer-2210RN | Tracer-2215RN
Nominal System Voltage 12VDC | 24VDC Auto work
Rated Battery Current 20A
Maximum Battery Voltage 32V
Max. Solar Input Voltage Tracer-2210RN 100VDC
Max. Solar Input Voltage Tracer-2215RN 150VDC
Max. PV input power 12V/ 260W 24V /520W
Self-consumption* <10mA(24V)
Charge Circuit Voltage Drop ?0.26V
Discharge Circuit Voltage Drop ?0.15V

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Tracer-2215RN MPPT charge controller specs.

The Wattage ratings are approximate for the whole array (all panels). With 20 Amps out and 24 Volt system that's 480 'real' Watts. They must not have much faith in their own controller if they don't want you to go above 520 Watts.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

It looks like the controller is rated:

20 amps max charge current * 26 volts charging = 520 Watts (ignoring losses)

I don't know anything about the Tracer Brand--But, in general, the MPPT controllers we work with here can be "over paneled" and still work fine. The Tracer may not work correctly if over paneled????

Next, the maximum input voltage is based on Voc-cold of hte solar array... Pretty much, if you are in a cold region, Vmp-array would be around 100 VDC maximum (cold temperatures, Voc rises).

So, you would be limited to 3 panels in series maximum.

Next, over paneling the controller. We usually use a 0.77 derating for typical installations (warm panels, controller losses), so it would nominally be:

20 amps * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating = 753 Watts rough "cost effective" maximum

With the MPPT controllers we typically use here, going with a larger than ~573 Watt array would cause the controller to "clip" the output current to 20 amps for many days of the year for an hour or so in the middle of the day. The larger the array is, the more "lost power" you will have.

But, again knowing nothing about the Tracer--I really cannot say if you can exceed their 520 watt limit--You can try sending them an email and asking tech support the question.

If they say over paneling works and is safe/reliable, then 3x 240 watt panels in series would be just about ideal for the controller (assuming you do not exceed the 150 VDC input voltage with Voc on cold/clear days).

Otherwise, I would stick with two panels in series and see how the controller works for you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • nubby
    nubby Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options

Thanks. This is what I get for buying a $120 MPPT instead of the $230+ 40a/45a one.... It's working great right now with 2 panels, I just can't expand I guess. The american mppt controllers cost $250+ for 15a, which is way too expensive for me.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

Yea--We are limited by our credit card at times.... :cry:

But that is why we always say do the research first and a couple of paper designs. Then go buy the hardware.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Options

is it under warranty ?