Reworking System

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
I am installing my new battery bank. When I disconnect the batteries do I need to shut down the grid side of the inverter or can I let the grid power the inverter while I change/work the batteries? When I power the system back up is there any tips for sequence or procedure? Do any of you use a substance like Penatrox on your terminals to inhibit oxidation? I went with 4 Lifeline GPL-L16s to simplify the bank and still give me the 400 ah range.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Reworking System
    stmar wrote: »
    I am installing my new battery bank. When I disconnect the batteries do I need to shut down the grid side of the inverter or can I let the grid power the inverter while I change/work the batteries? When I power the system back up is there any tips for sequence or procedure? Do any of you use a substance like Penatrox on your terminals to inhibit oxidation? I went with 4 Lifeline GPL-L16s to simplify the bank and still give me the 400 ah range.

The grid will not power an inverter that runs from batteries.
    Shut down the AC out and in, then the inverter. Disconnect the PV from the charge controller, then from the batteries. Change the batteries. Use an anti-corrosive grease on the terminals (there are several - even ordinary petroleum jelly works). Fire up the inverter. Turn the AC in on first, then AC out. Connect charge controller to batteries, then to PV. It should all work.
  • stmar

Okay, thanks, I did not know if I had to completely shut down the whole system and I would rather be safe than sorry. This will also give me an opportunity to check connections, terminations, etc and make sure cables are clean. May even defrost refrigerator, lol, those Sun Frosts ice up and every spring it is a necessary chore.
  • stmar

Got it done and system is up and running. I did not have any problems with my old batteries but one thing I see is that the new battery bank voltage is more constant. It has only been a few hours so don't know if this is from usage or if they are maintaining a more constant voltage. I did a voltage check on my old batteries when I took them out; 12.9 volts on two of them and 13 volts on the other two, I will let them set overnight and see what the reading is since they were fully charged from the array and inverter/charger when I took them out. I can also take them to my local auto parts store and they will do a load check for me, may do that just to see if they were any good or if I was just gambling!!!! Thanks for all the input, it helps to go over the details and I think I actually improved my system design from info gleaned on the forum.

Edit 5/18 - Checked batteries this morning and had about the same readings. Is there a chance these are still good after 10 or 12 years?? I have not been to the auto parts store to double check, can they maintain a charge but crap out when a load is induced??