Solar power with grid as backup

2»

Comments

• South Africa
    South Africa Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar power with grid as backup
    Inverter efficiency isn't 77%. If it is, get a different inverter. The 77% derating is average panel output plus MPPT charge controller loss, so 400 Watts rating of panel in comes out as 308 Watts. Inverters are usually around 90% efficient. Some less, some more.

Inverter is 88%. This is a temp solution for as soon as the man wakes up to the fun of solar systems, he can go for a proper Victron inverter. :-) Till then, I am trying to save him some of the initial expense. :-)
    With a PWM controller you can only count of the current so you need to know the panel specs. A 200 Watt panel with a Vmp of 35 produces 5.7 Amps but a 200 Watt panel with a Vmp of 30 produces 6.6 Amps. And therein lies a caution about Vmp: it has to be high enough to charge the batteries. This goes along these lines: 12 Volt system Vmp 17-18, 24 Volt system Vmp 35-36, 48 Volt system Vmp 70-72. (Although a 48 Volt system may have a slightly lower Vmp as the wiring losses are inevitably less due to the high Voltage.)

Vmp is 26.5v per panel, so 2 in series should give me about 53v with 7.5a current at max power.
    BUT, at present the battery monitor says 30v+ coming in when panels are in parallel.
    You say four 102 Amp hour batteries in series. 12 Volt? That would be a 48 Volt system. Hence the caution about array Vmp. It would also supply roughly 1kW hour AC at 25% DOD so that is also good. The only possible issue is the panel Vmp and making sure the charge controller can handle 48 Volts (many PWM types can not).

Yes, 12v each. To save some costs, would a Tristar 45, the non MPPT version, do the job? It can go 48v.

Manual says:
    • Do not exceed a battery voltage of 48V nominal (24 cells). Do not use a battery less than 12V (6 cells).
    • Do not connect a solar input greater than a nominal 48V array for battery charging. Never exceed a Voc (open-circuit voltage) of 125V.
    • Charge only 12, 24, or 48 volt lead-acid batteries when using the standard battery charging programs in the TriStar.
    5kVA Victron Multiplus II, 5.2kW array, 14kWh DIYLifepo4 bank, all grid-tied.

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Inverter is 88%. This is a temp solution for as soon as the man wakes up to the fun of solar systems, he can go for a proper Victron inverter. :-) Till then, I am trying to save him some of the initial expense. :-)

Vmp is 26.5v per panel, so 2 in series should give me about 53v with 7.5a current at max power.

Yes, 12v each. To save some costs, would a Tristar 45, the non MPPT version, do the job? It can go 48v.

Manual says:

Okay, no. not going to work. Panels with Vmp of 26.5 in series gives 53 Vmp and that is not high enough to charge a 48 Volt system. That will have an Absorb Voltage around 58-60. The batteries would never charge.

Whenever you use a PWM type controller you need the Vmp to be in those guidelines I mentioned. As in 70 Vmp for a 48 Volt system. If you put a 3rd one of those panel in series you end up over that @ 79.5 and some of that will be wasted by a PWM controller as it only passes current.

BTW for your own system you might want to look at the specs of the MidNite Classic. It's more money than an FM80 but it has some interesting extra features which you might find useful, including direct connection to a battery monitor (their WhizBang Jr) and a "Waste Not" function for making best use of available PV power not going to charge at the moment. Exact adaptation for your use may require some thinking and rethinking but it's worth considering.
  • South Africa
    Okay, no. not going to work. Panels with Vmp of 26.5 in series gives 53 Vmp and that is not high enough to charge a 48 Volt system. That will have an Absorb Voltage around 58-60. The batteries would never charge.

These Tenesol panels ... I nearly started swearing here. :-) But I am very glad that this now solves the issue.
    Note to self: NEVER EVER buy panels and then get the controller, EVER! :-)
    Whenever you use a PWM type controller you need the Vmp to be in those guidelines I mentioned. As in 70 Vmp for a 48 Volt system. If you put a 3rd one of those panel in series you end up over that @ 79.5 and some of that will be wasted by a PWM controller as it only passes current.

Going for a 3rd panel would have been an idea IF the exact same panel was available.
    Note to self: NEVER EVER buy panels with the intention of later adding more. EVER!
    They will have stopped production of that specific range you bought by the time you want more.
    BTW for your own system you might want to look at the specs of the MidNite Classic. It's more money than an FM80 but it has some interesting extra features which you might find useful, including direct connection to a battery monitor (their WhizBang Jr) and a "Waste Not" function for making best use of available PV power not going to charge at the moment. Exact adaptation for your use may require some thinking and rethinking but it's worth considering.

funny, I did look at them. Problem is getting them to SA, price is about R9 000.00 which is on par with the FM80, but the biggest problem is repairs ... :-)

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

What 'glass' are you referring to wrt the Classic?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • South Africa
    westbranch wrote: »
    What 'glass' are you referring to wrt the Classic?

I meant when 'I break the glass', in case of emergency break the glass ... :-) which I tend to do when I am being stupid. :-)

• westbranch

i just checked the MN weblist of dealers. I did not see anyone listed for SA, but they mentioned on the Forum a while back about working with a co. that makes wind turbines, ah yes it is Kestrel in Zambia? http://www.kestrelwind.co.za/

see this posting http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=472.msg2894#msg2894

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »

Kestrel and .za are both in South Africa. Follows the dutch: Zuid Afrika.
  • South Africa

Blow me down. Thank you.

Have mailed them ... let's see if they can give me a quote.

If it was in Zambia, it would have been easier to get it from the USA. :-)

• westbranch
    stephendv wrote: »
    Kestrel and .za are both in South Africa. Follows the dutch: Zuid Afrika.

Thanks Stephen, that explains their statement about serving S.Africa on their web page.

• South Africa

Not sure yet of the model, but price quoted for a MidNite controller is less than a Outback 80 controller.

• South Africa

Does anyone have any experiences with Victron EasySolar inverter/AC charger/MPPT Solar Charger?

This one: http://www.victronenergy.com/solar-pv-inverters/easysolar/
    And: http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Press-release_20140416_EasySolar_EN.pdf

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Even though Victron is a quality brand I'd suggest you avoid any all-in-one inverter/charger/solar controller. They have a tendency to lack the necessary flexibility for adapting to individual usage. In other words you get stuck with an inadequate charge controller function that can't be adapted to your specific battery needs.

Having trouble finding real specs on this other than 1400 Watts on 24 Volts (indicates 60 Amp charger but the 75/50 model designation doesn't fit). Ah, found some specs: maximum input Voltage 75 - well that's not great - and current out 50 - also not great. Absorb default Voltage 28.8 which is good, but probably have to read the whole manual to see how adaptable it is. I'm too lazy to do that.

You'd want to know just how many of the parameters are programmable and to what extent. Too often you can't alter things to suit the batteries you need to use. Be wary.
  • South Africa
    Even though Victron is a quality brand I'd suggest you avoid any all-in-one inverter/charger/solar controller. They have a tendency to lack the necessary flexibility for adapting to individual usage. In other words you get stuck with an inadequate charge controller function that can't be adapted to your specific battery needs.

Amen, where I am today. :-)

But from what I can see about it, and I am known to miss a few smaller details, this device has all the safety features one needs to ensure safe connection to everything.

You'd want to know just how many of the parameters are programmable and to what extent. Too often you can't alter things to suit the batteries you need to use. Be wary.

Make sense BUT the warnings are clear when adjusting these devices, if you are not fully versed. I rather tamper with computers, databases, software than power devices. :-)
    2.5 Configuration Assistants
    Several software programs (Assistants) are available to configure the system for various grid interactive or stand alone applications.

But, if you have the device connected to your Pc, which I can do, then with Teamviewer they will assist remotely to help configure the device for you. :-) Now who else can do that for you?

maximum input Voltage 75 - well that's not great - and current out 50 - also not great. Absorb default Voltage 28.8 which is good, but probably have to read the whole manual to see how adaptable it is. I'm too lazy to do that.

Easy:
    As many 102ah Royal lead acid 'deep cycle' batteries is what I want it to handle with ease, with focus on using solar power 1st, then utilities and if all else fails, have a few hours for computers. Light are on same batteries but on another inverter at night.

Then on rainy days, use Utilities to charge the batteries to keep UPS function available.

Max 6 panels on the roof, and I have the 3 x 310w Tenesols already. :-)
    2.3 Battery Charger
    Adaptive 4-stage charge characteristic: bulk – absorption – float – storage
    The MultiPlus Compact features a microprocessor controlled ‘adaptive’ battery management system that can be preset to suit different Typs of batteries. The ‘adaptive’ feature will automatically optimize the process relative to the way the battery is being used.

The right amount of charge: variable absorption time
    When only shallow discharges occur (a yacht connected to shore power for example) the absorption time is kept short in order to prevent overcharging of the battery. After a deep discharge the absorption time is automatically increased to make sure that the battery is completely recharged.

Preventing damage due to excessive gassing: the BatterySafe mode
    If, in order to quickly charge a battery, a high charge current in combination with a high absorption voltage has been chosen, the MultiPlus Compact will prevent damage due to excessive gassing by automatically limiting the rate of voltage increase once the gassing voltage has been reached.

Less maintenance and aging when the battery is not in use: the Storage mode
    The storage mode kicks in whenever the battery has not been subjected to discharge during 24 hours. In the storage mode float voltage is reduced to 2,2V/cell (13,2V for a 12V battery) to minimize gassing and corrosion of the positive plates. Once a week the voltage is raised back to the absorption level to ‘equalize’ the battery. This feature prevents stratification of the electrolyte and sulphation, a major cause of early battery failure.

To increase battery life: temperature compensation
    Every MultiPlus Compact comes with a battery temperature sensor. When connected, charge voltage will automatically decrease with increasing battery temperature. This feature is especially recommended for sealed batteries and/or when important fluctuations of battery temperature are expected.

Preventing damage due to excessive gassing: the BatterySafe mode
    If, in order to quickly charge a battery, a high charge current in combination with a high absorption voltage has been chosen, the MultiPlus Compact will prevent damage due to excessive gassing by automatically limiting the rate of voltage increase once the gassing voltage has been reached.

Less maintenance and aging when the battery is not in use: the Storage mode
    The storage mode kicks in whenever the battery has not been subjected to discharge during 24 hours. In the storage mode float voltage is reduced to 2,2V/cell (13,2V for a 12V battery) to minimize gassing and corrosion of the positive plates. Once a week the voltage is raised back to the absorption level to ‘equalize’ the battery. This feature prevents stratification of the electrolyte and sulphation, a major cause of early battery failure.

To increase battery life: temperature compensation
    Every MultiPlus Compact comes with a battery temperature sensor. When connected, charge voltage will automatically decrease with increasing battery temperature. This feature is especially recommended for sealed batteries and/or when important fluctuations of battery temperature are expected.

PV short circuit and PV reverse polarity protection.
    PV reverse current protection.

Internal temperature sensor
    Compensates absorption and float charge voltages for temperature.

Adaptive three step charging
    The BlueSolar MPPT Charge Controller is configured for a three step charging process:
    Bulk – Absorption - Float.

Bulk stage
    During this stage the controller delivers as much charge current as possible to rapidly recharge the batteries.

Absorption stage
    When the battery voltage reaches the absorption voltage setting, the controller switches to constant voltage mode.
    When only shallow discharges occur the absorption time is kept short in order to prevent overcharging of the battery. After a deep discharge the absorption time is automatically increased to make sure that the battery is completely recharged. Additionally, the absorption period is also ended when the charge current decreases to less than 2 A.

Float stage
    During this stage, float voltage is applied to the battery to maintain it in a fully charged state.

3.3 Equalisation and forced absorption [\B]

3.3.1 Equalisation
    Traction batteries may require regular equalisation charging. In the equalisation mode, the MultiPlus will charge with increased voltage for one hour (1V above the absorption voltage for a 12V battery, 2V for a 24V battery). The charging current is then limited to 1/4 of the set value. The “bulk” and “absorption” LEDs flash intermittently.

3.3.2 Forced absorption
    Under certain circumstances, it can be desirable to charge the battery for a fixed time at absorption voltage level. In Forced Absorption mode, the MultiPlus will charge at the normal absorption voltage level during the set maximum absorption time. The “absorption” LED will be ‘on’.

3.3.3 Activating equalisation or forced absorption
    The MultiPlus can be put into both these states from the remote panel as well as with the front panel switch, provided that all switches (front, remote and panel) are set to “on” and no switches are set to “charger only”.

Standard MultiPlus factory settings
    Inverter frequency 50 Hz
    Input frequency range 45 - 65 Hz
    Input voltage range 180 - 265 VAC
    Inverter voltage 230 VAC
    Stand-alone / parallel / 3-phase stand-alone
    Search mode off
    Ground relay on
    Charger on/ off on
    Battery charge curve four-stage adaptive with BatterySafe mode
    Charge current 75% of the maximum charge current
    Victron Gel Deep Discharge (also suitable for Victron AGM Deep Discharge)
    Automatic equalisation charging off
    Absorption voltage 14.4 / 28.8v
    Absorption time up to 8 hours (depending on bulk time)
    Float voltage 13.8 / 27.6V
    Storage voltage 13.2 / 26.4V (not adjustable)
    Repeated absorption time 1 hour
    Absorption repeat interval 7 days
    Bulk protection on
    AC input current limit 12A (= adjustable current limit for PowerControl and PowerAssist functions)
    UPS feature on
    Dynamic current limiter off
    WeakAC off
    BoostFactor 2
    PowerAssist on
    Programmable relay alarm function