Eco gen 6kw generac generator

johnrea
johnrea Registered Users Posts: 1
has anyone had trouble with the oil circulating from the oil reservoir to the crank case?

Comments

• ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Re: Eco gen 6kw generac generator

Yes, we had problems in cold weather with it. More than likely something wrong with either the round pump on the valve cover or the square one that's between the engine and the reservoir. I'd call Generac and get a tech out there because the unit has to be under warranty. The EcoGen's lube system is a nightmare and I've seen the airbox get so full of oil from the vent line that the oil filter totally saturates with oil, the engine starts smoking badly and quits because of malfunctions with the lube scavenging pump.
    --
    Chris
  • Rngr275
    Rngr275 Solar Expert Posts: 127 ✭✭

Knocking on wood but no problems with mine.

Chris have you or did you have the valves adjusted as recommended in their manual?
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Rngr275 wrote: »
    Chris have you or did you have the valves adjusted as recommended in their manual?

Yes, I adjusted them. But actually they were all within spec on the first adjustment, and didn't need it anyway.
    --
    Chris
  • Angelo
    Angelo Registered Users Posts: 1

Generac has issued a service information bulletin about possible mis-connection of lines to the oil pulse pump. The oil in your air filter could be due to this issue.
    Affected models are EcoGen 5818-1 with serial numbers from 7995894 through 8176897. The bulletin is SIB13-09-EcoGen. If your machine is in the serial # range, call your local tech they will make a free housecall to check and/or make the required fix.
  • Wilburderek
    Wilburderek Registered Users Posts: 1

I purchased a ecogen 3 months ago sn#8176861, and have had nothing but issues since unpacking the unit. Ran rough for the first month until one day wire #22 broke out of the control panel allowing the unit to go over voltage and literally light the wiring in my walls on fire (cause of fire was determined by the generac tech and a slew of electricians). Called generac immediately (64 days ago) they have yet to fix my unit, or fix my home... The generator is no longer even operable (which is great when it dark 16hrs a day and 15° below zero). My case manager at generac (Jane Roberts) has done absolutely nothing but lie to us on the phone and give us the run around, she never returns our calls and is always "unavailable" when we try to contact. I use the unit to charge my batteries this time of year as we only have 2-3 hours of sunlight exposure in the winter here (northern Vermont).
    The fire hasn't been the only issue either, we have had issues with oil leaking everywhere, control panel died and was replaced, on board battery charger issues, and generac has done NOTHING to honor their warranty or repair damages caused by their faulty unit. I have had to buy a new Koehler generator because they won't fix or replace this one. Everyone at generac customer service is very convincing but don't be fooled because they won't help you. I am going to have to file a lawsuit (which I don't have the time for) to even get my home repaired. I was very respectful and understanding and gave them the opportunity to do the right thing and they have done nothing, I have never seen customer service this horrible in my entire life.
  • chuckken
    chuckken Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi...I am new to the board...Just hooked up my ecogen 6K and now am attempting to do the 240v conversion...I understand everything in the instructions except step #9 concerning a white #22 wire which gets spliced...Can "anyone" send me a picture or better instructions as to where to find this illusive wire?...I can not find a #22 white wire coming from a black connector anywhere near where the instruction sheet says it is. I have completed everything in the intructions with the exception of this cut and slice which connects to the #44 wire and hot... Thanx in advance

Chuck
  • Darryl
    Darryl Registered Users Posts: 9
    Hello has anyone solved the battery discharge problem, If I supply solar to the battery can I forgo the continous 120 AC requirement
  • Darryl
    I have gotten word from Eco-Gen Tech department, the electronics board runs off the 12 volt starting battery, If the battery is charged by another source it is good. You do not have to have 120 AC, I am going to try a midnite solar "Brat" PWM controller from a 60 cell module. Then after I get the 24 volt main battery set in place I will charge the 12 battery by using the Brat as a 24 to 12 volt battery charger. .
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I don't know anything about the Brat--But using on a 60 cell panel charging a 12 volt battery bank, the efficinecy is going to be very low--Probably around 50% of the panel's Wattage rating (i.e., a 200 Watt panel will have about ~100 watts of equivalent power to charge the 12 volt battery though the PWM controller)... That may be OK for a smaller battery (i.e., you only need a 100 Watt panel to charge an 80 amp 12 volt battery).

However, using a PWM controller to charge a 12 volt battery from a 24 volt battery--You will probably over current the charge controller--PWM controllers do not have the ability to limit current through them (unless you put a large power resistor between the 24 volt battery and the PWM controller). I would guess that you would fry the PWM controller if you tried this.

I could be wrong--But give Midnite a call if you are thinking of do the 24 to 12 volt battery charging. Normally, a MPPT charge controller would be used for down converting from 24 to 12 volt battery charging (MPPT controllers can limit output current safely/reliably).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Darryl
    BB. wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the Brat--But using on a 60 cell panel charging a 12 volt battery bank, the efficinecy is going to be very low--Probably around 50% of the panel's Wattage rating (i.e., a 200 Watt panel will have about ~100 watts of equivalent power to charge the 12 volt battery though the PWM controller)... That may be OK for a smaller battery (i.e., you only need a 100 Watt panel to charge an 80 amp 12 volt battery).

However, using a PWM controller to charge a 12 volt battery from a 24 volt battery--You will probably over current the charge controller--PWM controllers do not have the ability to limit current through them (unless you put a large power resistor between the 24 volt battery and the PWM controller). I would guess that you would fry the PWM controller if you tried this.

I could be wrong--But give Midnite a call if you are thinking of do the 24 to 12 volt battery charging. Normally, a MPPT charge controller would be used for down converting from 24 to 12 volt battery charging (MPPT controllers can limit output current safely/reliably).
    -Bill

Thanks Bill, yes I contacted Midnight solar, I have not yet determined the current draw of the e-board, but they say if I put a power resistor, about 100 watts in series to limit the current when i connect my 24 volt battery source, I should be ok. When connected to the 60 cell module I am doing this to keep the generator charged during construction. When the house is built and the permanent array is installed and the 24 volt batteries, I want to charge the generator battery from the house batteries. Then I ue the resistor to protect the brat. I was told the e-board uses only about 1/2 watt so If I am 50% efficent I am a lot better off than running the 40 watt tare inverter.
  • brianmc
    brianmc Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    Johnrea, I have had oil getting into the airbag since the 6K Ecogen was installed in 2007.  The service guy said there was ice crystals in the system??  I didn't believe him.  10 years later it has gotten totally out of control and the reservoir is flowing into the crank at a rapid rate.  Just through the Wisconsin deer season, I went thru 3 filters and a roll of paper towel to keep the airbag clear of oil.  I am having difficulty getting a Generac "Select" dealer out there to service it.  There is a You Tube video out there where the tech changes the pulse pump? and reroutes the hose from the reservoir.  We're desperate because we are off the grid.  Any help is welcome.