Tristar TS-60 alarm

We've had this hooked up since 2010 without so much as a hic-up. On Sunday I noticed it wasn't working and I pressed a few buttons to get to the alarm section and all it said was FET open. Pulled out the owners manual trying to find out just what the heck it is, NO DICE.

Figured I would call Morningstarcorp and find out how to reset the unit, NO DICE. (try it, you'll get nowhere)

Figured I would write them a brief message on there site through Technical Assistance to get answers, NO DICE.

Wrote Morningstar through there company email address, NO DICE

I don't know how they deal with people with issues, anyone that has 1 of there units depends on them supplying power to your battery bank. It seems that something so important to a solar system requires prompt responses, I guess they view things a bit differently.

These things comes with a 5yr warranty, so far I got 4 out of the 5yrs of use out of it.

Does anyone have any recommendations to get in contact with a company that just tries to ignore you?

No clue why the thing went out in the first place, it's a 60amp unit and with my panels the thing only gets 46amps at peak through it.

EDIT: I have since found out just what the FET open means. There's 12 of these things on the board and it's short for MOSFET.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Tristar TS-60 alarm

It sounds like it has to go back for repairs (I don't know if MorningStar ships out replacement boards or not).

Have you tried contacting the retailer you purchased it from for help--See if they can give you a contact to get an RMA (return material authorization)?

And FET is Feild Effect Transistor--MOSFET is Metal Oxide Semiconductor FET. And these are (usually) the big transistors that switch power in many of these charge controllers/AC inverters. In general, I don't think you would have much luck just changing out one MOSFET--Frequently the drive circuit fails too (either that is what caused the FET to fail, or a failing FET took out the drive circuitry). I really do not know enough to help you beyond this point.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GRUMPA
    GRUMPA Registered Users Posts: 2

Bill, thanks for the input. The place we bought this unit (Val-U-Solar) closed up over a year ago. There's a lot of that going on in this area where places come and go all the time.

That's the reason for attempting to deal with Morningstarcorp directly. If we look in the local phone book and call around they'll tell you to contact the company that made the unit in the first place. They (3) said the same thing stating that it's a defective unit that wasn't made correctly and they wont go any further than that.

Which is why I've been trying to get the company that made it to get in contact with me. I have no clue what there mind-set is about things like this but from a consumer stand point it sends a wrong message to folks that require answers when there product fails.
  • fredrhodes
    fredrhodes Registered Users Posts: 7
    GRUMPA wrote: »
    Bill, thanks for the input. The place we bought this unit (Val-U-Solar) closed up over a year ago. There's a lot of that going on in this area where places come and go all the time.

That's the reason for attempting to deal with Morningstarcorp directly. If we look in the local phone book and call around they'll tell you to contact the company that made the unit in the first place. They (3) said the same thing stating that it's a defective unit that wasn't made correctly and they wont go any further than that.

Which is why I've been trying to get the company that made it to get in contact with me. I have no clue what there mind-set is about things like this but from a consumer stand point it sends a wrong message to folks that require answers when there product fails.
    I have a Morningstar and have contacted them on occasion with excellent results, surprised you aren't able to get some help.

Fred