Dumb inverter quesrtion

Options
verdigo
verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
What would happen if an Outback FX inverter had it's AC Out and it's AC in inadvertently connected and it was on? And no I am not planning to do this and it hasn't happened.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Dumb inverter quesrtion

With an FX if you connect live AC to the AC OUT and turn the inverter on it will try to 'feed' the AC line that's already active. Then it becomes a battle between AC sources, and most of the time the inverter is going to lose (fry). The exception would be against a generator of lesser output capacity in which case the generator would probably lose.

The GVFX series doesn't have this problem because it is designed to sync with an external AC source and its IN/OUT are bidirectional.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

To clarify what Coot said about the GVFX, it's the ACin thats bidirectional for, selling / Input. Poster " Tall Girl " has posted on the Outback forum they can be back driven through the ( ACout ) on a mini grid it's not a pretty thing as there is no control of current to the batteries and you have to have a synced pair . So, Coot is correct, but with the caveat that it might not be a good thing even as a reference voltage for another system.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    To clarify what Coot said about the GVFX, it's the ACin thats bidirectional for, selling / Input. Poster " Tall Girl " has posted on the Outback forum they can be back driven through the ( ACout ) on a mini grid it's not a pretty thing as there is no control of current to the batteries and you have to have a synced pair . So, Coot is correct, but with the caveat that it might not be a good thing even as a reference voltage for another system.

Apparently they will work AC coupled. Theoretically there would be a difference in what happens when it is couple to a current source (panels feeding GTI) or a Voltage source; the Voltage source should not cause an issue with over-charging because the current flow depends on demand.

Mind you I still wouldn't want to try it.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Apparently they will work AC coupled. Theoretically there would be a difference in what happens when it is couple to a current source (panels feeding GTI) or a Voltage source; the Voltage source should not cause an issue with over-charging because the current flow depends on demand.

Mind you I still wouldn't want to try it.
    Me Either !!! To many " what if's ". There to many other Inverters out there with 240 V output that are designed to do it to even fool around with them.
  • verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Options

I should probably clarify what I meant was "the inverter's own AC Out connected to it's own AC In", with the only external power being batteries, and PV.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    verdigo wrote: »
    I should probably clarify what I meant was "the inverter's own AC Out connected to it's own AC In", with the only external power being batteries, and PV.

That will drive the inverter nuts. It turns on, powers output, picks up AC on input, switches load (itself) to input, power disappears, load switches back to inverter, cycle begins again. There is a certain amount of time between when AC is detected on input and the inverter switches, so you will here it go click, click, click ... probably until the relay wears out. (This is for an FX; the GVFX probably won't notice a thing.)