Lorentz PS600 Photovoltaic Pool Pump System

waikulu
waikulu Registered Users Posts: 2
I had no luck finding any reviews for this product prior to my purchasing the system...so I hope this helps anyone who might be searching:
The pump is strong enough to run my creepy crawly. this was my biggest concern.
As long as there is direct sunlight on the panels, the pump pushes more than enough water to run the creepy crawly:

I just finished the insatall at my home here in Hawaii. I am very please with the system.
I installed 6 trina 185Watt panels, I used quick mounts for mounting the rails on my asphalt shinkle roof, this took about 3 hrs. Most of the time spent was making sure I hit the joist with the hanger bolt. I spaced the mounts 6 feet apart. Portrait orientation.
All the mounting hardware is sold seperatly.
The pump, controller and disconnect comes prewired, however I would recommend that you fully inspect all the factory wiring. I"M GLAD I DID, BUT I WONT ELABORATE.
I installed jandy valves in my system so i can isolate each pump, so i can run the AC pump if needed. I don't think i will ever use my AC pump again, I HOPE.
My AC pump has a 3/4 hp motor, 1.25hp is stamped on the side of the pump (not sure how this calculates out.
Total install time, by myself 10hrs + 2hrs to pound in the ground rod.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Lorentz PS600 Photovoltaic Pool Pump System

Neat, always nice to hear from a happy customer.

Is this the pump (family) you installed?

www.lorentz.de/en/products/submersible_solar_pumps/ps600.html

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭

Thanks for the review.
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭

What all did you have in the job as far as materials?
  • waikulu
    waikulu Registered Users Posts: 2

Jan 2012: I had no luck finding any reviews for this product prior to my purchasing the system...so I hope this helps anyone who might be searching:The pump is strong enough to run my creepy crawly. this was my biggest concern. As long as there is direct sunlight on the panels, the pump pushes more than enough water to run the creepy crawly: Just finished the install at my home here in Hawaii. I am very please with the system.I installed 6 Trina 185 Watt panels, I used quick mounts for mounting the rails on my asphalt shingle roof, this took about 3 hrs. Most of the time spent was making sure I hit the joist with the hanger bolt. I spaced the mounts 6 feet apart. Portrait orientation.All the mounting hardware is sold separately. The pump, controller and disconnect comes pr-wired, however I would recommend that you fully inspect all the factory wiring. I'M GLAD I DID, BUT I WONT ELABORATE. I installed Jandy valves in my system so i can isolate each pump, so i can run the AC pump if needed. I dont think i will ever use my AC pump again, (I HOPE). AC pump has a 3/4 hp motor, 1.25hp is stamped on the side of the pump (not sure how this calculates out.Total install time, by myself 10hrs + 2hrs to pound in the ground rod.

This is an off-grid system

25,000gal. gunite pool

4/24/2014: System is still operating like a champ. Installed in January of 2012. I figure I've saved about $2,800.00 to date. I paid around $6,900.00 for the system (including hardware) and installed it myself. With the Hawaii credits i figure i paid about $2,500.00 for the system..so it's paid for itself already.

The pump runs from dusk till dawn. Can't imagine the cost to run my AC pump for that amount of time.
    My pool stays much cleaner as well.
    Less maintenance too.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    waikulu wrote: »
    The pump runs from dusk till dawn.

Dawn till dusk? No batteries, I am guessing.

Anyway, very nice to read a review for a successful product.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Well since APS has decided to add a smart meter on the solar production side of my system and if I add more solar I think that I get caught in the new rate plan I have been considering this option for the pool. It is great to hear that these do work successfully.

Yes Bill no batteries, DC direct drive off the panels.

Edit: can you please elaborate on the wiring issues?
  • KozmoK
    KozmoK Solar Expert Posts: 42
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Well since APS has decided to add a smart meter on the solar production side of my system and if I add more solar I think that I get caught in the new rate plan I have been considering this option for the pool. It is great to hear that these do work successfully.

Yes Bill no batteries, DC direct drive off the panels.

Edit: can you please elaborate on the wiring issues?

Ha, I added 7 panels to mine, lets see if they catch me!
  • waikulu96734
    waikulu96734 Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    I posted the original installation of this dc pool pump back in 2012.
    I am on my second pump only because the bearings failed in the brushless motor a couple of years ago. 
    I was able to measure and source out replacement bearings as they are a common size (so now I have a spare pump).
    These shaft bearings are also pretty simple to replace. 
    The original controller is still functioning without any issue.
    The lorentz is a great product and manufactured well.

I see more of these solar pump systems on the market now, out of china. If anyone out there has experience with these, would be nice to see some reviews.

Aloha