Standing Seam Roof Mechanics

lunarpower
lunarpower Registered Users Posts: 5
Just trying to get a better handle on the standing seam roof concept.

If the clips that hold the roof allow the roof to "float" to accommodate temperature driven expansion and contraction, then how do the roof panels stay attached to the roof when there are lots of heavy solar panels attached? Is there only one non-floating attachment point to keep everything from sliding off the roof?

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Standing Seam Roof Mechanics
    lunarpower wrote: »
    Just trying to get a better handle on the standing seam roof concept.

If the clips that hold the roof allow the roof to "float" to accommodate temperature driven expansion and contraction, then how do the roof panels stay attached to the roof when there are lots of heavy solar panels attached? Is there only one non-floating attachment point to keep everything from sliding off the roof?

The roofs I have been associated with have the seams screwed to the plywood or particle board underlayment. The roof does move, and you will hear it!
    I also wood rather use a metal roof for collecting rainwater and protecting against fire. Solar is for ground mounting in my opinion.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

One person I would talk to is the installer for your roof... My roofer spends a fair amount of time (and customer's money) on fixing roofs after the solar panels have been installed by the solar contractor (my roofer was getting enough business from fixing solar installs that he was looking into getting into the solar installer field since all he had to do was add an electrician to his crew).

See what he suggests that would work well with his roofing products.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭

Most metal roofs are screwed on one edge and then have a snap over lock on the other edge so both edges are held down firmly. The best way to think about it is like oak flooring where only one edge is nailed but the other edge locks into the previous piece. The new clips for mounting solar panels to metal roofs do not have any penetration through the metal, they just clamp onto the raised ridges of the standing seams. These are engineered for snow and wind loads and are quite strong. If done properly there should only be one penetration for wiring that any qualified roofer should be able to make water tight.
    Ned