Considering Purchasing System and Need Advice

DJGiannetto
DJGiannetto Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello all. My name is David and I live in Surprise (AZ). I have been considering purchasing solar for quite some time and have even gone as far as getting a few quotes (SolarCity, American Solar, and Sun Valley Solar). I would like some "unbiased" advice on what I should be paying per Watt for a system. I am considering something between 5 kW (just to trim the peak demand with APS) up to a 17 kw system to cover 100% of my demand. I seem to be having "paralysis from analysis" but there is a lot of things to consider and no real good sources of advice / information. Help!

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Considering Purchasing System and Need Advice

some things you should know about APS.

1) the net metering plan is only withing the TOU when the power is generated. You can't buy off peak with your on peak solar excess.
    2) you will have an extra fee for solar users.
    3) the annual settle up on excess power pays only about $0.02 a kWh as a credit on your Jan bill.

For purchase you should be able to get installs for under $4 a watt. I can't recommend an installer, mine went out of business.

Knowing about #1 above, I have a 12.5 Kw system on the old 9AM to 9PM TOU plan (grandfathered) and I can't ever seem to use up all my excess on peak and still have to buy off-peak. I have three 3 ton AC systems, a pair of Trane with over 17+ seer rating and a mini-split setup. We also have a pool we run on-peak and a pair of Chevy Volts we charge.

Look at conservation first, it is always cheaper to save a watt than generate a watt.
  • DJGiannetto
    DJGiannetto Registered Users Posts: 2

Thanks solar_dave. My best qoute is about $3 / watt installed (before the federal and state rebates). I am trying to decide if I should get a small system for a pretty low cost and just trim the expensive peak power or if I should put more money into it and get a larger system that will offset all of close to all of my useage. By my calculation my on-peak usage accounts for about 54% of my power cost each month with APS. I can offset all of the on peak with a 4.88 kW system. Seems like the most BANG FOR MY BUCK but I am wondering if I am missing something.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks solar_dave. My best qoute is about $3 / watt installed (before the federal and state rebates). I am trying to decide if I should get a small system for a pretty low cost and just trim the expensive peak power or if I should put more money into it and get a larger system that will offset all of close to all of my useage. By my calculation my on-peak usage accounts for about 54% of my power cost each month with APS. I can offset all of the on peak with a 4.88 kW system. Seems like the most BANG FOR MY BUCK but I am wondering if I am missing something.

That would give yo the best ROI.