AGM

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
Outbacks 12v AGM cells seem overpriced. No surprise.
What are the 2 best deals on 6 volt AGMs..???

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: AGM

Shop local and find out?
    Prices differ according to where you are.
    Capacity makes a difference too.

Outback's batteries are rather specialized and not suited to all applications.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

These aren't available everywhere , I think they were $139.00 at one time.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-golf-car-battery-group-size-gc2agm/prod3870119.ip
  • stmar
    stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at AGMs for a while and I found that there are differences; price, origin, material, life cycle expectations, etc. The Concorde family of batteries, Lifeline and Sun Xtender, seem to be quality and made in the U S A but you pay for them. They also have a wide range of amp hour choices. The best thing to do is decide what you want capacity and price wise, then when you have that narrowed down a bit see which manufacturers meet your specs. That gets you to a starting point and then check out reviews and comments on the ones you are considering, then make a decision. Easier said than done, as of now I am going with the Lifeline GPL-L16, but it is only Tuesday so will probably change my mind a few more times by the end of the week. Good luck!!!
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

the lifeline looks good. But someone needs to cut the high profit on Batteries....they are overpriced.
    THe walmart stuff isnt going to last.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    ws9876 wrote: »
    the lifeline looks good. But someone needs to cut the high profit on Batteries....they are overpriced.
    THe walmart stuff isnt going to last.

If you think batteries are overpriced and have a high profit margin on them feel free to start your own company.

One of the most cost-effective batteries for RE is the venerable GC2. This is due to the high volume of production and sales from all the golf carts in the world. The lower the sales volume the more expensive it is to produce anything. Unlike some products you can't build a large number of a certain kind of battery and just leave them sit around until needed because they will die in the warehouse. So they have to anticipate sales, and if they over-expect then they can have a large amount of expensive scrap metal on their hands.

Until you've actually been in the business don't decry how it works.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The old engineering maxim... Price, Performance, Quality. Pick any two.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stmar
    stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

I will second that. It seemed if I found one that was $100 cheaper, with similar specs, it was made with recycled materials (nothing against recycling per se) or imported. It depends what you want, I for one look for quality, longevity and as little maintenance as possible, hence I am willing to pay a little more for an well made (sometimes that is reflected in their warranty) and positively reviewed AGM, lots of opinions and experiences on this forum for instance.
    BB. wrote: »
    The old engineering maxim... Price, Performance, Quality. Pick any two.

-Bill